• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

belt jumped?

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
06' m6 stock, put a few miles on today and everything was good until,,, so here I go, about 20 miles in I rode on top of a plowed pile of snow, (which I had already done earlier a few times) and it stopped me. Stuck, so I thought, ya big deal push it off right, when I pushed it off it seem like throttle was helping any so I just pushed harder and when I got to the bottom I smelt burnt belt. Yup smoked the belt, no big deal just put a new one on right, nope the belt was fine, just come off the secondary. I also noticed the secondary had a little wobble to it but the bolt was tight and that wouldn't be enough for the belt to come off. So was the snow hard enough that pushed up on the belly pan push the belt off? seems to be riding right in the secondary,1/8" or so, anyways put it back on and made it home with no problems. sorry for the long story just didn't want to leave anything out

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
I don't think the snow was that hard, I did notice the side panel has a little mark on it, but it doesn't look like much room between the pan and the clutch

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I would sat bent clutch or shaft out of the d-drive. A guy I ride with did that on his m1000 last year when he hit a stump on that side. The clutch is pretty unprotected. It is really close to the bellypan (ia m sure you know that already) so if you take a hit in the right spot, it goes right to your clutch.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
sometimes if you get your secondary engaged and then hit the brake or stop the track to fast the secondary clutch won't disengage leaving slack in the belt and it pops of
i,ve done it many times hitting a small drift launching straight up in the air and grabbing th brake to level out and then not moving

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
I have not had any time yet to look closer at the clutch, but I would think it would vibrate if it was bent, but I will check it out thanks. I'm leaning towards wyo with that idea so far with how easy it happened.

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
I knew someone was going to ask that^^^ and no I haven't checked yet, lol leave when it's dark and get home when it's dark.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I hope it just decelerated too quickly to backshift, however, I suspect that you bent your secondary. Friend did it on his M6 last winter, the clutch is just too close to the bellypan.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Just happened to a guy in our group on his M1000. He was doing a break in ride....not clear on all of the details.

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
well so far what I have found out is way to much deflection, well that made sense since the plastic piece wasn't even in the secondary. went to the dealer and picked up the update kit for like 15 bucks, came with the new metal plug, longer bolt and washers so I just had to buy the o-ring and shims so total of 20 something and going to put that on right now. and yes the sled was used so I don't feel so bad about the plastic piece missing haa

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
does anybody know what a 600 should run for rpm? right now I'm at a solid 8000 and it holds, but we'll see after I mess with it. and what belt should be on it? it looks fine but could be slacked out

Last edited:
Premium Features