• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Things to check for on a used sled.

P

polarisperson

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
I'm looking at an 05 summit x 800 w/ 2500 miles, and I'm wondering what would be the major things to check if I see it in person. I'm not very familliar w/ ski-doo, so any help is great. thanks

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Other than the usual chain, drivers, skis, underside etc....

The 05 rev has had some problems with:

1. Carb boots delaminating inspect them closely.
  2. flaking rings, I believe you can remove rave valve to see that. usually no motor damage, just replacement needed.
  3. if the front end is tweaked, check the nun, and bulkhead. measure spindles-to-tunnel on both sides of the sled.
  4. y-pipe leaks the bolts back out.
  5. weak running boards. there is a fix.
  6. make sure the hours correspond with the mileage. I saw a couple of revs with a TON of hours, but low mileage I believe they unplug the sensor from the drive shaft.
  7. make sure clutch area is properly vented. remove all foam insulation.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I checked mine and realized that you can reset your hours, I didn't think you could...

I guess that blows that theory out the door... LOL

When I bought mine I recall it had 1200 km, and around 20 hours

A friend of mine bought his and it had similar mileage, but had almost double the hours...so I figured that the seller unplugged his shaft sensor.

Perhaps a doo guru can explain why the hour meter display can be reset,,, I didn't think it could but I just did. is there an internal hour meter?

Premium Features