• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why shorter shocks?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Can anyone explain why shocks should be shortened when putting the '16 36" front end on '13-'15 cats?
If the longer shock makes the sled taller in the front, I'm all for a taller sled.

GS6

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You need shorter shocks because the distance from the one shock mount to the other is shorter. Longer shocks will cause steering issues. Longer shocks will seem cool because it lifts the front of the sled and so you have more clearance, but when you alter ride height like that the weight has to go somewhere. It is just like sucking your limiter straps all the way up, your approach angle is better, but guess where the weight goes........to the skis.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I used 3/16 spacer on top of the spindle to raise the tierod so it clears the lower A-arm.
Is there another steering issue?

GS6

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I would think the shock would bottom out before the a-arms go through their full motion, thus making your suspension travel shorter. I do however like the "taller" stance, the less the front is dragging in the snow the farther I go;)

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Fab craft makes a bent tie rod system I used on my firecat with m series a arms and the stock longer shocks. Raised the front end up considerably. you have the same amount of travel. Remove the internal blocks in the shocks and gain even more travel. If the new shocks have them?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Can anyone explain why shocks should be shortened when putting the '16 36" front end on '13-'15 cats?
If the longer shock makes the sled taller in the front, I'm all for a taller sled.

GS6

The 2016 upper arm will actually hit the side hood area with the longer shock. You will have to compress it just to make it fit. Once the sled is back on the ground it will clear. But as most have stated here its not good to run the longer shock. We agree. You will lose a lot of travel from the shock.
Not to change the topic of this thread but our 36" kit uses the stock length shocks from the 38" and 40' wide sleds.

Allan

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
The biggest problem when you put longer shocks on is not the ride height it's that you are affecting the sleds center pivot point plus the extra weight on the skis makes it steer heavy and as an example when you try to boondock the front skid shock will not have the lift to pick the front of the sled high enough. The extra inch will have an effect on how "light" the front end feels when boondocking. I'm sure it will effect more then just heavy steering and more throttle then normal to counter steer while boondocking.
I hope this made sense. If you gain 3/4 of an inch in the front suspension then both skid mounts should drop 3/4 unless the sled is improperly balanced to start with. M2C

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would think the shock would bottom out before the a-arms go through their full motion, thus making your suspension travel shorter. I do however like the "taller" stance, the less the front is dragging in the snow the farther I go;)
Shocks are the limiters in both directions.
If u take ur shocks off, the arms will travel several more inches, down a couple inches and up another 6in?

GS6

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
the 13-15 shocks have a longer compressed length than the 16 shocks. Bottoming out could be an issue. Adding spacers to the bottom of the tie rod ends will add more bump steer as the suspension travels.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
the 13-15 shocks have a longer compressed length than the 16 shocks. Bottoming out could be an issue. Adding spacers to the bottom of the tie rod ends will add more bump steer as the suspension travels.
Does the compressed length change when the 13-15 shock is shortened?
Or do u give up 20% of travel?
GS6

Last edited:
W
Jan 22, 2010
Smithers
It will work with correct spacing ( spindle clearance when there is no pressure on ski's, hood clearance when fully compressed. I have had 1 Shock Come apart ( bent air chamber on rough trail) It gives the sled a nice tall look , but you really have to play with your pressure to give you some "ride in" If there is a shock place near you just get the spacers and have them set up properly. The pressure setting would be easier with the new EVOLS' than with the standard float

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
This is all bordering confusing for me. The widest setting the new 16 skiis allows a width of 37" and 34 or something like that in the narrowest. With all this pivot point stuff, that 3" of adjustability seems like it could make a ski shock pressure mess. Not that it matters here but I went with Zbroz 38" uppers and 16 spindle so I could keep my shocks as they came.

Sent from my telephone

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Well, almost 50 miles on today.
On the trail, i like the '16 front with the '14 shocks. Sitting down, i can tip the sled on its side and ride on one ski, comfortably for a long distance.
There was only a few inches of new snow on some hard crusties.
So i don't have a good off trail review yet. It does seem to stay on its side better on a crusty side hill .

GS6

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That was my original plan.
All i really wanted was the 16 spindle.
I forgot Zbros made the upper 38" arm for the 16 spindle. Oh well?

I still do not see a down side to my longer shocks.
This is all bordering confusing for me. The widest setting the new 16 skiis allows a width of 37" and 34 or something like that in the narrowest. With all this pivot point stuff, that 3" of adjustability seems like it could make a ski shock pressure mess. Not that it matters here but I went with Zbroz 38" uppers and 16 spindle so I could keep my shocks as they came.

Sent from my telephone

GS6

C
Dec 4, 2014
This is my first post but I installed the 2016 suspension kit on my 2015 and used it both with the shocks at 2015 length and with the spacer installed. 7 days of riding on each and my opinion is DEFINITELY put the spacer in. Handling is improved in every condition and air pressure, ski stance, and rear suspension adjustment cannot do the same thing as shortening the shocks. I tried...and tried. The handling difference is actually most noticeable in powder and steep technical climbing. With the long shocks the sled wants to stab the ski into the snow and rollover uncontrollably in deep powder and at the same time loses feel and confidence when manuevering during a steep climb. The shortened shocks make the sled much more confortable to ride and much more predictable to control. Plus it reduces steering effort and improves handling on the trail.

Premium Features