• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT Clutch Question

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I just put a RKT secondary kit on my stock M7. The shifting in the top end is great, but now I have a real bad bottom end bog that was never there before. Seems to worsen when I pre-load clutch spring tighter and improve at the looser settings. I think I need to get a softer spring. Does that sound right? The kit came with a red/white spring. What would be the next softer spring, and is that a RKT spring or something I can pick up at one of the local shops to speed the process.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
That is just an arctic cat spring.
What helix? Do you have new rollers?
I made the mistake of preloading the spring 1 too many studs, did you do the same???

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I'm having some of the same issues Krafty... No bog, just lazy like the stock setup was.. upshifts like a mofo though, thinking of trying a different helix maybe to get the backshift how I would like it. Tried winding it one notch tighter to see if that helps, will hopefully get a chance to ride it this week sometime and see...
G.

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Thanks for the input guys. The helix is a 38/34. Rollers are not new, but apear to be fine. I know I didn't preload it to far. So far the best performance I have been able to get is when I have no preload at all and simply line it up where it will just push straight on the studs. Do you think that I may have recieved a kit for a M8 or a M7 mod? The sled has always been a strong runner and I can't believe it wouldn't work with a standard kit.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
RKT should be able to nail a almost pefect settup for you, do exactly what they recommend for both primary and secondary, they have had this on the snow for a couple years so there should be NO GUESSWORK on the part of the BUYER, especially on a stock sled.:rolleyes:

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
with no pretension you should be running how you say you are. with no pretension the secondary will open up right away kinda like trying to start off in a higher gear with a manual transmission. in layman the tighter your torsion the slower your upshift the quicker your backshift. like winter brew says call the guys at RKT and ask if they have any base line torsional pretension specs for their setup. and ask how he measures the prelaod so that you get the same reading he does.

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Still waiting for my kit (and one for a buddy) that I ordered about a month ago. We leave for Revy on Friday so looks like I am f#@ked. Really kind of frusterating. I realize this kit has been a home run, but wow if you market something you should have the resources to fill orders. Over a month is ridiculous. Sorry for rail roading your post. Hope you get your sled dialed!

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
a month. that sucks i got my cutler secondary kit in a week and i live in a remote town in northern bc. i woiuld try and track that package down. find out wich shipping company he used to send it then try to get a tracking number and find that baby. im sure you will be happy once you get it and get it dialed in.

Heypal - I got my kit within 2 weeks shipped to Calgary. Also keep in mind that this is the busiest time of year for him.

What helix did you order? I ordered the 34 helix and using an AC red/white spring. Will be trying it in Golden this weekend.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Still waiting for my kit (and one for a buddy) that I ordered about a month ago. We leave for Revy on Friday so looks like I am f#@ked. Really kind of frusterating. I realize this kit has been a home run, but wow if you market something you should have the resources to fill orders. Over a month is ridiculous. Sorry for rail roading your post. Hope you get your sled dialed!

Same song every year on the popular stuff....... Make a note for yourself to order in the late summer/early fall next year :)

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Had a great ride yesterday. My sled ran much better. I dropped down to a yellow AC spring which ran best in about the middle tension adjustment. I still have a slight hesitation when you drop the hammer at low speeds. "Winter brew," I read a post of yours in another thread stating that you thought a progesive helix might not be the best choice for an "M". I am running a 38/34. Do you think that might be my problem? I am wondering if my stock M7 doesn't have enough low end torque to pull the 38 start out. Still trying to get ahold of RKT no luck via phone, but I just shot off a e-mail to Kelsey.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
....I am running a 38/34. Do you think that might be my problem? I am wondering if my stock M7 doesn't have enough low end torque to pull the 38 start out......

What altitude are you running at? 38 seems pretty steep for a stock M7 at higher elevations to me. RKT sold me a 36 with his kit on my 1000 at 9K.

Last edited:
M
Oct 1, 2001
Belgrade, MT
Had a great ride yesterday. My sled ran much better. I dropped down to a yellow AC spring which ran best in about the middle tension adjustment. I still have a slight hesitation when you drop the hammer at low speeds. "Winter brew," I read a post of yours in another thread stating that you thought a progesive helix might not be the best choice for an "M". I am running a 38/34. Do you think that might be my problem? I am wondering if my stock M7 doesn't have enough low end torque to pull the 38 start out. Still trying to get ahold of RKT no luck via phone, but I just shot off a e-mail to Kelsey.

By dropping down you're spring rate you're going to speed up your upshift and slow your backshift down maybe causing the bog your noticing...is your sled stock? any kind of fuel box? I noticed when mine was stock it had a pretty nasty bog sometimes in the midrange when I hammered on it. I think it was right around 5500 or so. just a thought.
JR

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I threw my stock can back on to make sure that wasn't a factor in my problem and spent the better part of a day changing through a variety different springs and pre-loads. I can finaly say after four waisted rides of tinkering and wrenching I finaly have my sled running almost as well as it did with the stock set-up. I have heard lots of great things about this kit, but appearently my sled rejected the transplant. I am 99% sure that my problem is in the progresive helix, but I am so tired of messing with the thing I am going to just go back to the all stock clutching that never failed me before. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Premium Features