• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

8'' Wheels/Axle Problem

B
Nov 30, 2007
2004 Edge 700 with a Tracks USA 136'' Kit.
I bought an PEM offset axle with 4-8'' wheels....
Thus axle won't work at all....The track hits the back rails and the wheels are 1 1/2'' too high off the track....if I change the offset 180....the wheels want to be about 3'' below the slides....Pissing me off!

What can I do....What should I be using for an axle??
It won't fit at all.....Please help!

T
Nov 26, 2007
This might sound insulting... Please bear with me, I've actually seen people install these things wrong. Is the TracksUSA 136" kit made for stock size wheels?? Or are they made for 8" wheels already??

If your on the left side of the sled, looking at the rear end, and the axle is installed, it is basically a rectangular block, and the axle that you put the wheel on is a circle. The circle in relation to the rectangle should be in the upper left hand corner. If you are on the right side of the sled, the circle is obviously in the upper right hand corner.

You can turn the axle around of course, but it requires a longer track.

Either way, just make sure the actual axle part that you bolt the wheel to is higher than the stock tensioner window.

I have seen cases severe enough to warrant cutting the back of the rail off. This sounds crazy, but once you actually tighten down the axle, it makes the back of the rail really solid again.

Anyhow, just make sure your axle is up and forward. And if the track still hits the back corner of your rails after you've tensioned the track out, your only real option is to start taking away at the back of the rail.

B
Nov 30, 2007
Its the Tracks USA for stock wheels.....so they are an extension of the stock rails.....

Will grinding the back of the rails/slide rail help??
Gen2 is trying find me a resolution as well.....This is pissing me off....

The wheels either sit way high or way low...where should the bottom of the wheels be in reference to the bottom of the slide rail??

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Bottom of wheels should be flush with bottom of slides. Pull out your skid to make it easier to install properly.

T
Nov 26, 2007
What's the stock wheel size from the 2004 skid?? I think Polaris went to a slightly bigger wheel in the rear that year. The axle may have been made for previous sized wheels.

Regardless it shouldn't be that far off. But it makes a difference.

If you have the offset UP and FORWARD and the wheels are too high so that they don't touch the track, then you also may have possibly gotten an axle for the 9" wheels.

Now if you have the kit installed and all seems right, except that your track clips are rubbing the bottom back corner of your rail ends, and the track is tensioned to where you want it, then your gonna have to either grind the bottom back corner for clearance, or knock a little bit of the block that is part of the axle kit that slides inside the track tensioner rail windows. I've done this before.

Here's a little secret about that product and other products made by that company. NOT ONE SINGLE THING THEY MADE WAS PREVIOUSLY TESTED.

Just a buncha ideas on stuff to make that looked cool cause it was CNC'd, and made in the middle of the summer then sold. The first axle kits made, that center section was a hollow tube that screwed into the two inside blocks, that tube basically failed and a guys entire axle split in half, not pretty spearing a track on the rear end. First Hyper-Lite clutches made had aluminum towers that snapped off. Replaced by steel ones that made the clutch the same weight as the clutch it completely copied, a Cat roller.

BTW, if you got 136" extensions, your real problems lies in the fact that with a 8" wheel, your sucking up all your track with a bigger radius, that's why the wheels are forward from stock, but then you get your problem, track clips rubbing in the rear..... Might wanna consider stock.

Kinda hypocritical of me, seein' as I run a 9" offset wheel kit. But that's a 136" skid, set back, w/ 144" track.

B
Nov 30, 2007
The wheels are nowhere near the slides or not even close with being flush with the track.
It is mounted up and forward as you said....and no go.
The track contact patch is at the top of the wheel....track adjusted loose or tight makes no difference but WORSE!

Is there anyone that makes an axle for my application that works properly??

At this point grinding either will not compensate for the wheel height..

Any other suggestions guys??

T
Nov 26, 2007
Where do you live BigDog? If it is at all possible, take a pic.

Heck, even if ya have a camera phone, take a pic, and send it that way if ya can't post one here.

B
Nov 30, 2007
Hey There

I live in Canada....
I will send some pics tomorrow....I am at a loss here....this is driving me nutz!

I am open to suggestions....I would really like to run these wheels....

The guy I bought them from is looking into a solution as well....He was told this was the correct axle as well

T
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Idaho
Mountain Machines Performance. I love them. i bought 8" billets and the Freedom Axel. You put the axel together to fit what ever sled you have , comes with plenty of parts to build whatever setup you want.i run 2 wheels on the inside. This is my own thought but i believe that taking the wheels off of the outside made it much easier to turn and manuver on harder snow. they are great to work with and i highly reccomend them. The billets are blingin too... chicks dig it:D

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Looks like you need 9" wheels or so as the offset axles were definitely made for bigger.

B
Nov 30, 2007
Yeah Marv...That's what it looks like....A larger wheel would make the contact patch more even around the wheel.
It would also align the bottom of the wheel with the bottom of the slides as far as height goes.

Brent

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
I think you should sell those 8's to me and get yourself some 9's.

do you mind me asking where you bought them and the axle?

Premium Features