• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.4 series 5.1 vs. 2.6 series 6

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Is there a huge difference between these two tracks? Anyone have any input either way between the two? Thanks

I am trying to decide between a SKS with the stock 2.4 series 5.1 track or the Assault with the 2.6 series 6 track. The dealer wants an additional $750 to install a 2.6 onto the SKS... Leaning more towards the SKS because of the bulkhead heat exchanger and the ability to narrow up the ski stance to 39 inches verses the assault at 41.5 inches. Are the two tracks close enough in comparison that its not worth the upgrade price? Thanks

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
The new track IMO is a great upgrade. Does so much better in hard pack/ice and just as good characteristics in deep snow as the 5.1. Whether you go with the sks or assault, I recommend the 2.6 track. You could always narrow up the assault and have better shocks than the sks(needle shocks vs just piggybacks).

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Good point on the shocks. To be honest, I thought the Assault and SKS had identical shocks up until now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Really was leaning towards the SKS because of the extra heat exchanger for keeping sled cooler goofing around on the trails in Minnesota, and thinking I was getting the same shocks as the Assault. Now I have to rethink all this....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Could do the assault with 2.6 and put zollinger's offset spindles on for $325 and get it to 39 for tree riding. Just an option. Then you wouldn't have to screw with shocks to narrow it up.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
So the Zollingers off-set spindles would be the only thing that I would need to purchase to narrow the front end up? The shock length and a-arms stays stock? Thanks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everything bolts up the same. They are a one inch offset so you can go 2 inches narrower than stock. Don't have to shorten shocks like you would if you got narrower a arms

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Also just to point out the Axys seems to have more cooling capacity compared to a pro. I can run longer on hardpack than my 13' pro with my wife on it and my Axys is a 3". That's with scratchers down of course. So just depends how much you really ride needing a lot of cooling capacity. The spindle idea is a good option too. Super easy install

C
Dec 24, 2014
I think the Assault with the offset spindles is a great idea. You get the track and the narrow stance, and better a-arms and shocks.

I can tell a HUGE difference between a Pro and the Axys. It is way more than just the track and unless somebody has ridden the same chassis with both tracks it is going to be a tough comparison.

I would go Assault, and should have myself in retrospect. The lower a-arms are a serious liability. I bet they wouldn't last an hour of ditch riding. If you go with the SKS budget $500 for front arms.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for all the info guys! I am leaning more towards Assault now and will add the Zollingers off-set spindles for when I head out west to ride. Never really had problems with my PROS overheating in the past, i was just hoping to not have to constantly stare at the temp gauge worrying when or if it was running hot.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Another quick question. Is the rear skid on the Assault mounted in a different location then on the PRO? If so, is it possible to remount the Assault skid location into the PRO location for when I head out west. Thanks once again!

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
I put the 2.6 on my 2011 pro and it is a night and day difference than the 2.4. Way more traction in both hard and soft snow and considerably better downhill braking. Well worth the upgrade.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Also just to point out the Axys seems to have more cooling capacity compared to a pro. I can run longer on hardpack than my 13' pro with my wife on it and my Axys is a 3". That's with scratchers down of course. So just depends how much you really ride needing a lot of cooling capacity. The spindle idea is a good option too. Super easy install

The axys is 2 inches longer than the pro. It's in the tunnel, which means it has more cooling and they changed the cross over.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Assault with off-set spindles is a great idea.
Although, I DO like my 37" stance on my Pro. :)

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I put the 2.6 on my 2011 pro and it is a night and day difference than the 2.4. Way more traction in both hard and soft snow and considerably better downhill braking. Well worth the upgrade.

i agree 100%. put the 2.6 on my ’14 pro

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Now try the 2.6pc, I bet it's better than the 2.6 poo.

(Thanks for the negative feedback on this post Joeschmoe).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features