• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dodge transmission problem

C
Dec 13, 2004
Minnesota
Got an '04 Dodge diesel w/ auto tranny. I've been pushing snow since about 2 o'clock with it and everything had been working great up until about 30 minutes ago.

When traveling between jobs my transmission went from second to fourth. I accelerated and it kicked back down into 2nd and then when the rpms settled it once again skipped a gear.

I came to a stop and manually put it in 1st then 2nd and then finally into "Drive" and then it shifted correctly and has worked fine since doing that.

Do any of you know what could've caused my tranny to act up? About 10,000 miles ago I had the fluid and filter changed and they tightened the kick down band.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
My guess is a pressure Solenoid I think thats what they are called.

P
Direct drive seal. Dodge puts a "D" shaped seal in there and it leaks if there is too much pressure. Also leaks when it gets old. If it starts to happen all the time try a bottle of LUCAS transmission conditioner. Worked on mine I got 3rd gear back from havin nothin. Now if I'm hard on it, it'll still skip 3rd but as long as i drive it easy no problems.

C
Dec 13, 2004
Minnesota
I plowed over 20 hours since I had the initial problem and it never flared up again. None the less, the truck's going in tomorrow and if it needs anything I'll make sure it gets put on. Just goes to show that no matter how well you take care of your stuff it's still going to break down from time to time.

Premium Features