• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Rebuilt 02 800 Summit Highmark

K
Nov 27, 2007
I'm breaking in the motor and put in a little oil with the gas and took it out for about a 2 hour trail ride break in. The guy that did the work put in V-force 3 Reeds, SLP pistons rings, shaved head a bit. Does anyone know what the jets should be set to. He said there is some adjustment for fuel intake and he adjusted it one notch up. I didn't really get on it hard yet but when I did get into the higer RPM it might be sputtering a little. Since I was breaking it in I never did just pin it. I took a look at a forum about breaking these motors in and I think I'm going to start riding it a little harder next time out. I have put about 15 to 20 miles on the first ride. Varied speed the hole ride, no road ride. Any comments or suggestions or things I should be keeping an eye on would be appreciated. I had posted a thread a while back about best mods for an 02 800 summit and this is what I've finally did and I think its turned out pretty good.

Big wheel kit
16 inch wide track off 04 rev 151 instead of 15 inch stock 151
SLP Pistons
SLP can
Shaved head a bit
Drop down brackets
simmons
Removed some rollers

So far after my first ride I'm pretty happy seems to spin a bit less but I don't know about the power side yet. I hope the motor ends up in the 150 range. Mid range has been great. Handling is good also. I will try to tell you more later after the visit some steep and deep.

Good luck and have a great snowmobiling year

R

RideCo

Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins, Co
Based on what you did, I think the jetting you had before should work. That is assuming it worked before you did any work. The MPREM should take care of minor changes due to elevation, etc. Definately wait until the tank of gas that is mixed is run out before making any decisions though.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
You need to gut the thermostat and remove the bypass or risk a burn down that you'll never see coming. Real easy and you'll sleep better. Looks to me you'll need to be jetted at 500s or maybe 480s. Add an RKT head and some carbs off an 04 or newer and you can drop about 10. I run a BJ 830 mod and run 390-380s at 2500 ft.

The other thing to do is relocate the suspension.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
As Big Cat said ....gut the stat... cost me a melt down. Stock stats are a p.o.s. Did the SLP pistons come with one ring or two? Dino

K
Nov 27, 2007
two ring pistons

Thanks for the info. We have another foot on the ground and I can't go ride write now. 2 feet of snow is a perfect break in. :)
Going to check on the thermostat asap. Did not know this. What is your thought on removing the oil reserve. I am going to switch to marble blue first and see with this new motor if I still go through plugs ever 2 or 3 rides

Premium Features