• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on spare/girlfriend mtn sled.

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
What are some good mountain sleds that women seem to enjoy riding. I also want something that I can take on the "boring" rides and still have fun. Thinking about something in the 600 class or even an 80hp phazer mtn lite. Trak length of 144-155. Reliability is important as I don't want to spend time fixing a spare sled. What are some of the issues that each sled has that women usually don't like. I tried the spare modsled approach, which was alot of fun for me, but didn't get the girlfriend excited to ride.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Get her a 600RMK 144" or 155" depending on your snow conditions. The Phazer is a kid's sled, don't go there.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
I'm looking for the same thing right now, so far I'm leaning towards a 600 Summit/Renegade or extended MXZ. But also found alot of good deals on 01-03 Mountain cat 600s, I don't know much about RMK's for haven't really looked at them yet. But also thinking of an 03 RX-1 mtn, that way over the summer I can pick up a deal on a boost for it and have a hill climber.

H

Have2rider

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I got a 05 M5 for my girlfriend. Its only like 90hp, not enough for me to run with my buddies as a backup. I should have gone with a 600 class sled. My m6 is like 120 hp with out mods, thats a big difference.

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
My girlfriend has been riding for some time before I met her. She had a 2000 mountain max 700 144. Gave that to her dad and I bought her a REV 800 144. I was thinking it might not be right for her but she loves it. She can carve with it way better then the MM.

Picture206.jpg

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Some questions for you;
Is she a new rider?
If not, how long has she been riding?
Does she like to ride?
Is she athletic?

If she's a new rider, I would most definitely get her on a phazer (old or new)- they are a great sled to learn on and very reliable. They can go just about anywhere (that's what I learned on 12yrs ago). If she's got some experience but not alot, I'd still keep her on a phazer until she's really comfortable with it, meaning not afraid to get off trail and is really comfortable climbing & carving. If she's at that point, then she is ready for a bigger sled (I wouldn't go with an RX-1 too heavy), but I would maybe find her an SRX Mt Max 700 triple w/a 151. Again a great sled, that will enable her to keep up with the guys and have tons of fun. If she is very experienced then I believe that you can't go wrong with any of the new sleds out there. Read the reviews, talk to your riding friends and help her find the one that SHE will like. Get her out there and try em all out. Most riders are happy to let women try out their sled, it's a great EGO booster for any rider. :p

Of course I'm only sharing this from my personal experience....
I also have girlfriends that ride ski-doos and they do great on those as well....

I just bought the FX NYTRO MTX. We don't have enough snow to ride yet :( but I CAN'T wait to get it out there in the snow!! Yes, I'm a Yammie FAN!

What are some good mountain sleds that women seem to enjoy riding. I also want something that I can take on the "boring" rides and still have fun. Thinking about something in the 600 class or even an 80hp phazer mtn lite. Trak length of 144-155. Reliability is important as I don't want to spend time fixing a spare sled. What are some of the issues that each sled has that women usually don't like. I tried the spare modsled approach, which was alot of fun for me, but didn't get the girlfriend excited to ride.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA

2003- 600-700-800 Rmk very stable very capable sled great windsheild
reverse. my wife rides a 600 and its a great spare for the bud or the backup if I had it do over again I would have bought the 800

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
She's pretty inexperienced at riding. In the past, she's only ridden about three times per year, but I figure she might liike it alot more and want to go more if she had a sled that was right for her. I've heard that the phazer is a little tippy, but I should rent one and let her ride it for half a day. I've ridden yamahas for twenty years, but willing to try another brand. The RX1 was too heavy for me, so it's definitely out of the question. I really like the looks of the new 600 rmks (2006-2008), they are lighter than the phazer, and seem like they would be very capable off the trails. Any women reading this that owns an 06 or 07 rmk 600?
Thanks for your input aksnowmachinechic. I wish the girls around here were into "snowmachining" as much as they are in AK. I spent a summer in Fairbanks two years ago and couldn't believe how many girls loved snowmachining and would save up and buy their own sled. What a turn on!

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
If you're looking for a "mountain" sled don't go for the phazer. Way under powered stock and a trench magnet. Nothing will ruin her day (and your night) more than being stuck every 15 minutes. Any of the 600 class sleds are a good bet for a wife/back-up sled. I'm partial to the 07/08 RMKs but the new cat and doos are all close. The 155 track is better for the deep stuff and still works well in the trees. Lots of inexpensive mod potential if she is looking for more ponies. Be more concerned about HER riding experience than your potential back-up sled and it will pay off in the end.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Hmmm?? I didn't notice that it was tippy, but it definitely doesn't have the ponies that other sleds have, but it is what it is, a great sled to learn on, but that's just my opinion. If she is hesitant about power then this would be the perfect choice, again my opinion, But definitely a confidence booster. As a back up sled - no way, unless it was turbo'd then you just might like it. :)
I have a girlfriend that rides a 600 summit another girlfriend that rides an 800 Rev. They both kick a$$ in the pow and give the boys a run for their money. :D Yeah, dont' go with an RX1. Apex's are nice sleds too, easy to ride, float on the snow, but might be a bit much for your GF, but definitely a nice back up sled.

Good luck!! Happy sledding!! ;)

She's pretty inexperienced at riding. In the past, she's only ridden about three times per year, but I figure she might liike it alot more and want to go more if she had a sled that was right for her. I've heard that the phazer is a little tippy, but I should rent one and let her ride it for half a day. I've ridden yamahas for twenty years, but willing to try another brand. The RX1 was too heavy for me, so it's definitely out of the question. I really like the looks of the new 600 rmks (2006-2008), they are lighter than the phazer, and seem like they would be very capable off the trails. Any women reading this that owns an 06 or 07 rmk 600?
Thanks for your input aksnowmachinechic. I wish the girls around here were into "snowmachining" as much as they are in AK. I spent a summer in Fairbanks two years ago and couldn't believe how many girls loved snowmachining and would save up and buy their own sled. What a turn on!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Any of the newer chassis are SO much easier to carve than the older ones. Makes sense right, technology and all......... LOL So, IQ, Rev, Mseries. I've seen women come off the other chassis, onto the newer styles and BAM they are a totally different rider. Even the new Nytro is going to be a great sled, just hp/weight ratio is less than the others. The cool thing about the Nytro, electric start.

I guess the biggest question is, your budget! ;)

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
I got my wife a 2004 700 RMK. I chose that sled because of the 700 reliability, and in 2004 they had reverse standard plus they had the decompression thing that made them a lot easier to pull start. Parts are readily available due to popularity, and the price of the sleds are very reasonable.

A lot of fun to ride as a backup sled also, especially since we put the slp single and some other goodies on it. She loves it. I set the front skis in the wide position to help her in stability while she gets used to sledding.

Last edited:
E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
I would say there are lots to chose from nowadays,the revy 600 is nice and easy to ride,M6-7 or even the poo600, 700 & 800 VE.Probably the difference should be what you want for a back up.I would strongely suggest you don't go with the newer phazer,they are very tippy and most women or new riders need confidence and the phazer doesn't work in that favor.My wife rides a 800VE and she likes it,but she rode my M1000, and wanted a boss seat,m**** is,keep the wife off your stuff or it's going to get costly,because she'll want what you have.........just my thoughts...LOL..ET.

Premium Features