• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Unflooding a sled

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
ok what gives?

I've never had any trouble starting this sled at all (1999 700 RMK) ... I had it started several times throughout the summer...

I went to start it a few hours ago, started right up, noticed it was leaking exhaust at the union between the y-pipe and the expansion chamber, so I went to the Polaris dealer and bought new springs and a new flange ...

Put all that on, went to start it, now it won't start? I've never once flooded this sled that I can remember, and I've never had any trouble starting it..

Either way, I pulled the plugs, fine ... wet ....

So I left them out and yanked the cord for awhile hoping to dry out the cylinder.

Started again, 2 pumps on the primer and choke on full ....

can't start.

repeated this with various combinations of prime and choke, still wont start.

what the hell I've never had this much trouble :(

MacGyver

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Drain the crankcase by taking out the 2 little drain plugs on the bottom front of it.

I8URCAT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, WA
Dont mess with those plugs.

If its not spraying out of the plug hole when you turn it over when the plugs are out, you arent going to get anything out of the drain plugs.

Have a friend pull the rope while you sit on the sled holding the brake and the throttle wide open. If it wont start then try another set of plugs.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Once those plugs are wet, it's all over. Dry them with a lighter, away from your sled, or get som fresh ones.
It's probably a dumb question, but have you checked for spark also?

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
not a dumb question......make sure you are getting spark. if you are, new plugs or dry as suggested. try pouring spoon of fresh gas in each cylinder. no primer. but make sure you are getting spark.

Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
I like take a lighter to the cylinders also. Do not look into the hole while doing this, keep your face away. Put a lighter to the cylinder and slowly turn the engine over until you don't get the "whooop" or a small blue flame anymore.
Put NEW plugs in and go. Do not use the prime or choke to start it.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
I would also pull the plugs in the crankcase. If the case is full of fuel, it's a pain to get it started. I trailered my sled 100 miles with the petcock open and filled the crankcase. Ran way better and started way easier with the crank case empty.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Once those plugs are wet, it's all over. Dry them with a lighter, away from your sled, or get som fresh ones.
It's probably a dumb question, but have you checked for spark also?

It's getting spark...

I put a set of dry plugs in, it started right back up, idled for about 2 minutes and died.

Now I can't get it started again.

I'll try to prime it back up, it fires a few times then dies, and wont start again.

I am wondering if I have bad gas or perhaps if the fuel stabilizer I put in there last winter is gumming up the carbs :(

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
One more suggestion. If you have another sled (uses the same plugs), run it and pull the hot plugs. Put them in your sled. Throttle wide open (track up) and pull pull pull. Works best as a two man project.:D

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Best way to start a flooded motor is with starting fluid. Doesn't make sense to add more fuel to a flooded motor, but it will start after hitting the cylinders with some ether. Try it, freaking amazing.

Premium Features