• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help M7 clutching guru's!!

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I went out today for the first tune ride with the new M9 engine and it was pretty much flawless. My question is, I'm only getting 7400rpm's. I have the Cutler adjustable 70-80g. weights and went up and down a couple grams without really any results. I'm thinking it is the soft AC Gold spring I put in the primary this summer. I marked the sheaves with a marker and it's leaving a good 1 1/2" mark on the top of the primary sheaves. Here is my setup:

Primary - Cutler adjustable weights and AC gold spring (really soft)

Secondary - Red/Blk TEAM spring w/D&D shift assist, Dalton 40 helix and sledjunky rollers.

Any suggestions to try to get me around 7800-8000?? I do have a Cutler Gold/wht. I could try. Thanks in advance for any replies!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Cutler Gold white, straight 36, run most of the weight in the heel of the arm and keep the tips lighter, and a purple/black Team spring.
I ran this with 75 and 77g Cat light tip weights and spun it at 8100ish with decent backshift.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I was hoping you would chime in Winter Brew. I will try it out. Do you have to pull the primary to change springs? I really want to get my clutching nailed down this winter. Really happy with this UB900 power. Thanks!

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
Flip the side panel up and remove the six bolts- remove old spring, put in new spring and put the six bolts back in. You should be rocking within 5 minutes. That is the nice thing about the new M chassis. The older style chassis could be done but was a pain in the rear.

P
Nov 26, 2007
I also tried the 70-80 gram weights to start with a cutler gold/white primary and cutler secondary kit with red/white spring and straight 38 helix. I was also low on rpm's with no set screws in, I don't think you can use as much weight in cutlers as cats due to the different profile with more tip weight (without set screws). Going to try cat 70 gram weights. Have noticied that just because you are making more power doesn't necessarly mean that much more weight is needed as I have thought in the past. Have some cutler adjustables coming from 65-75 grams and will tune to those in order to keep torsion in middle setting on secondary. Anyone else try this or similar set up? This is on a m7 twin pipes etc.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Flip the side panel up and remove the six bolts- remove old spring, put in new spring and put the six bolts back in. You should be rocking within 5 minutes. That is the nice thing about the new M chassis. The older style chassis could be done but was a pain in the rear.

Thanks Rinker, I will give it a shot! Didn't know you could do this.

S
Nov 26, 2007
I have a stock M7, Can only and am running an AC Gold Primary with 70g weights and an M8 Orange spring in the secondary. I ride 2000-5000ft. I have only done a few flatland runs in marginal snow with this setup at 2200ft, but i could only get it up to 7600-7700 RPM. It pulled like crazy, alot more botttom end than ever before, but I dont know if i should worry about gettin my RPM up to 7800. What do you think?

P
Nov 26, 2007
Shake & Bake
You will have to lighten the weights, if you are only getting 7600-7700 on the flat it will be worse when climbing and will not hold rpm in powerband which should be around 7900. You could try putting more preload on secondary which may up your rpm a bit but the orange spring is stiff as is. What helix do you have?

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Picks:

So maybe i should go back to the 68g weights with my setup?? or would changing the AC Gold Primary spring affect it at all??

Just grind a little off each of your weights to get down to 69g if you to get rpms perfect. If you ride up higher more often i'd drop down even lower to 68gs though. You never mentioned your helix or where you secondary spring was set at. Let us know.

C
Nov 26, 2007
I've been told buy an AC dealer that I didn't really need to change my helix or springs but just to run 75g weights and it'd effin rock. I believe him b/c again, he's a salesman and if anything, he'd be telling me to buy more S*** right? What is the stock helix? Anyone run the 36/42???

T
Nov 26, 2007
shake & bake put a stiffer spring in it should help shoot for 7850 that seems to be the sweet spot. I would also take that orange spring out and put a red/pink team spring in I think you will like it better. Just some thoughts hope they help.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I just got back from Golden for some clutch tuning. I ran the gold primary, orange secondary and stock 36 helix. I also tried the xs belt. I ran in my field with the xs belt and knew I had to grind some weight. So I ground them down to 65.5 and headed North. On the trail it pulled hard to 7800, but after we got up to 7000 feet she wouldnt pull 6900. I didnt want to change weights up there, so I switched another buddies m7 stock secondary and tried different adjustments but nothing worked. So I slapped on the old arctic cat 036 belt, I thought for sure it would over-rev with those light weights in, but it would run 7900 -8000 all day long and pulled great. It might be the combo of the light gold primary spring, I dont know. Also last year we ran stock springs and helix with 75 gram weights and it would pull very good unless it was a long hill, then the rpm's would drop to 7500. This was at 4000 - 6500 feet. with 162 x 2.5 inch tracts.

T
Nov 26, 2007
What are the rates on the cutler gold/white and team purple/black?
I installed the shift assist, and with the gold primary spring, she has never felt so smooooth. Engages at 3100 rpm and never bogs on the bottum. The gold spring is light on the bottum, 75 lbs, but is just as stiff as the stock yellow spring at finish rate, 280 lbs. So I'm curious what the gold/white runs.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I know! I hate giving up that AC gold spring because I think it would do great in bottomless powder. I wouldn't think it would allow the track to dig at all. Maybe not though? What exactly does more weight do for the sled down low? More torque feeling? Like going from 68g to say 70g?

TEAM Blk/Prpl = 160-240
Cutler Gld/Wht = 135-305

Last edited:
R

Rich

Nov 30, 2007
North Dakota
I tryed to order a AC gold primary and it is on back order till the begining of January, anyone know a suitable replacement, or a dealer that has one on hand?
Thanks

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Aaron what kind of pipes are you using and what are you running for a air box?

KJP

I just dropped in a Union Bay 900 so I went with the Bikeman Fatass big-bore pipe with the stock can. Love how quiet it is. It's a sleeper! As far as the airbox goes, it's the stock one right now, but I just got some reeds and am waiting for a Timbersled intake to come in. They were backorder!

Premium Features