• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt squeal? whats up?

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Glenwood,MN
I took my sled out for a quick run yesturday and when I stopped, and the motor was at idle, the belt squealed bad. It is a NEW belt, so is it just breaking in or is it too big? thanks, Mike

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
a new belt did the same thing on my 600. after a few miles it stopped. I also cleaned my clutch and that seemed to have helped.

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Check belt deflection. You can adjust that by adjusting the secondary clutch. You need to spread the secodary sheave out. What kind of sled do you drive?

nope, the belt should always ride with the seam on the top edge of the sheave. If you spread the sheave the belt will be sitting intoo far. You actually adjust the pulley distance / alignment. On the Doo's you can back off the engine stop slightly to acheive the appropriate belt deflection, don't give directions if you don't know..

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
nope, the belt should always ride with the seam on the top edge of the sheave. If you spread the sheave the belt will be sitting intoo far. You actually adjust the pulley distance / alignment. On the Doo's you can back off the engine stop slightly to acheive the appropriate belt deflection, don't give directions if you don't know..

What do you know? You're from Alberta........ ;)

WOW!.......I think you should follow your own advice.....if you don't know, don't offer advice.

The belt deflection is adjusted with the small dial on the secondary. You need to spread the sheave's apart a little for the new belt. If you adjust the engine stop, the clutches will become out of alignment and will cause excessive heat, wear & belt breakage.

B

BRUSHMASTER

Nov 26, 2007
Northern, MN
I would say there is a different way to adjust belt beflection on different sleds. Depending on what secondary clutch is on your sled. Some have a dial on the outside, some have some scews on the back. Possibly if you belt deflection looks good on your secondary then maybe you need to add a spacer to you primary clutch to space out the sheeves and stop the squealing. Or maybe you have installed the incorrect belt. Just my two cent and some areas to look.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
a new belt will not be worn....hopefully. so, it will ride higher in the secondary. as has been said by adjusting the secondary you will adjust for the slight different in belt width from old and worn to new. cleaning your clutches is never a bad idea..........loosening your motor stop is........uhhhhh

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Yup deflection for sure. the new belt will be wider and ride higher in the secondary. even a tiny bit makes a huge difference cause of the large radius of the secondary.
Also when the belt wears you can adjust (bring sheaves closer together) to get the right tension.

Depending on the sled and clutch the belt should ride with about a 1/16" showing which is usually the depth of the outter lugs/clogs on the newer belts.

The doos are hard mounted to the motor plate and that is just a torque stopper not a belt adjuster! A clutch alighment tool is never a bad idea to have either.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota

WOW, that's all I have to say. :eek:

:mad:

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho

WOW! That is a good one. You were refering to yourself weren't you? :eek:

Premium Features