• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI turbo upgrade

T
Feb 18, 2015
Has anyone installed the MPI turbo upgrade kit (with intercooler etc.) on their viper with the 180hp kit? Would like to get into the 220 hp range, and thinking of installing the upgrade kit and running 10 psi.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Your best bet would be to call Ulmer Racing to answer your questions about the MPI upgrade kit. They have done a few for customers.

I'm not sure I'm 100% on-board with running a 2nd control box just for the 4th injector setup though.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Has anyone installed the MPI turbo upgrade kit (with intercooler etc.) on their viper with the 180hp kit? Would like to get into the 220 hp range, and thinking of installing the upgrade kit and running 10 psi.

If you go over 200 horsepower MAKE SURE you put head studs in. More than a few blew head gaskets in the early days of Viper Turbos.

EDIT - you can get them here,
http://www.evopowersports.com/Head-Stud-Yamaha-Viper-Nytro/dp/B00KCUNPDM?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5145831011&id=Head+Stud+Yamaha+Viper+Nytro&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin&searchBinNameList=subjectbin&searchNodeID=5145831011&searchPage=2&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

I've been told by reliable sources that unless you want to run race gas, anything over 190 hp should have a head shim as well.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you go over 200 horsepower MAKE SURE you put head studs in. More than a few blew head gaskets in the early days of Viper Turbos.

EDIT - you can get them here,
http://www.evopowersports.com/Head-...archPage=2&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12
This is false. You don't need to run head studs until you go over 17lbs of boost on this engine. Countless Nytros ran fine at that level without internal work other than a head shim so they could run pump gas. Look up the impulse kits.

When you go over 17lbs you should do rods and studs and a shim. 200hp happens around 8lbs of boost depending on your setup. imo the only thing you need to do is run higher octane.

I ran my Nytro with no head shim on 15lbs with 110 octane and it ran flawless.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I've been told by reliable sources that unless you want to run race gas, anything over 190 hp should have a head shim as well.

if you dont run a shim 6lbs boost is max on 91oct 8lbs at higher elevation & that puts you at 180-190hp.
i run 50/50 110-91oct at 10-12lbs no shim & strait 110 up to 14lbs at elevation,anything above that & you will take out the head gasket.
of coarse these # depend on the elevation you ride,the higher you ride the more you can get away with i ride 4000-6000ft.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
This is false. You don't need to run head studs until you go over 17lbs of boost on this engine. Countless Nytros ran fine at that level without internal work other than a head shim so they could run pump gas. Look up the impulse kits.

When you go over 17lbs you should do rods and studs and a shim. 200hp happens around 8lbs of boost depending on your setup. imo the only thing you need to do is run higher octane.

I ran my Nytro with no head shim on 15lbs with 110 octane and it ran flawless.

Ummm...... the Viper has CAT electronics with different timing curves look it up. Viper is out of fuel in stock form at 7 pounds, more than a few found that out the hard way also. This thread on Totallyamaha has 3 people in it lost head gaskets/engine damage - http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/2015-ltx-with-turbo-blown-head-gasket.135412/

You have to excuse me but I will believe EVO who torture tested the stock head bolts and determined a safe range. Now, that being said the higher altitude you go the safer you are.

EVO is the only turbo builder I know that alters Viper timing to run 210 Horsepower on 91 octane fuel with stock head gasket, and that is why I am putting one on my sled. (210 which is all I plan on running not the 270) is supposed to be safe on stock head bolts but I am putting the studs in just to be safe.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Ummm...... the Viper has CAT electronics with different timing curves look it up. Viper is out of fuel in stock form at 7 pounds, more than a few found that out the hard way also. This thread on Totallyamaha has 3 people in it lost head gaskets/engine damage - http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/2015-ltx-with-turbo-blown-head-gasket.135412/

You have to excuse me but I will believe EVO who torture tested the stock head bolts and determined a safe range. Now, that being said the higher altitude you go the safer you are.

EVO is the only turbo builder I know that alters Viper timing to run 210 Horsepower on 91 octane fuel with stock head gasket, and that is why I am putting one on my sled. (210 which is all I plan on running not the 270) is supposed to be safe on stock head bolts but I am putting the studs in just to be safe.
I stand corrected. I was thinking you meant that the boost was lifting the head, not that it was going lean.

Seems crazy that Yamaha would let that go when they sell the 180/190 kit as a factory upgrade.

Premium Features