• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 800 summit rebuild

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have a 2001 summit 800 with 4100 miles on it. I have be told that I should consider reringing it and possibly put in new bearing and crank seals. I have checked compression and I still have 135 psi on both cylinders. Comparing it to an brand new rebuilt 800 that has 140 on both. I have been told that the 01's are lower on compression anyway due to cylinder design.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this....does it really need to be reringed and new bearings and crankseals??

Am I on borrowed time with 4100 miles??

Thanks for your input

m

R

RideCo

Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins, Co
Might go another 4000, might grenade next ride....

If it was me I'd do new piston and rings, if for nothing more than peace of mind.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
My 02 has 5000 miles. Just did the bearings and glad I did it. the pto bearings on mine... and I think yours is the same??? are in grease and mine were dry, wouldnt have made to much more. ...Dino

Ok, I just got done rebuilding my 01' 800, it had 3000 miles on it. The nikaseal was bad, so I did a cylinder exchange through Millenium Tech, I'm running RKT piston only kit, they get rid of the ring issues and are dual ringed, moly coated, and forged. I wasn't sure about the bottom end so it was checked, the bearings were fine, but the seals were about ready to fail, that would have caused an air leak, leading to a lean condition and would have killed the new motor. The Series III rotax motors used a grease on all the crank bearings, so they were re-packed. I'm also going to run a thick basegasket and a shaved head, it will advance port timing and increase compression, it was very noticable on an 02', so I figured I'd try it. But, you won't know anything until you get the head off, I don't know, maybe I was just unlucky, good luck:) !

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Ok, I just got done rebuilding my 01' 800, it had 3000 miles on it. The nikaseal was bad, so I did a cylinder exchange through Millenium Tech, I'm running RKT piston only kit, they get rid of the ring issues and are dual ringed, moly coated, and forged. I wasn't sure about the bottom end so it was checked, the bearings were fine, but the seals were about ready to fail, that would have caused an air leak, leading to a lean condition and would have killed the new motor. The Series III rotax motors used a grease on all the crank bearings, so they were re-packed. I'm also going to run a thick basegasket and a shaved head, it will advance port timing and increase compression, it was very noticable on an 02', so I figured I'd try it. But, you won't know anything until you get the head off, I don't know, maybe I was just unlucky, good luck:) !

I was told that the pto bearings are the only ones that have grease and the two bearings in the miggle live in a oil bath and the two on the mag side are oil injected...when I tore my 02 down I found that to be true...50$ for the grease to redoo the two pto end bearings, must be good stuff...Dino

Yeah, sorry its only the mag side bearings, supposidly some of the canadian motors had an oil feed line that ran a small amount of injection oil to an oil port in the side of the case. All the 800's that I've seen have an oil port that just has a rubber cap covering it, my manual doesn't cover canadian specific sleds, can anyone confirm this? The conversion would probably cheaper than a tube of that "isoflex" grease!

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Yeah, sorry its only the mag side bearings, supposidly some of the canadian motors had an oil feed line that ran a small amount of injection oil to an oil port in the side of the case. All the 800's that I've seen have an oil port that just has a rubber cap covering it, my manual doesn't cover canadian specific sleds, can anyone confirm this? The conversion would probably cheaper than a tube of that "isoflex" grease!

I have a a Canadian sled and it is no different than any other. No real reason for there to be a difference. Just had a new crank put in mine and as you say only the Mag side used Isoflex.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
I have a a Canadian sled and it is no different than any other. No real reason for there to be a difference. Just had a new crank put in mine and as you say only the Mag side used Isoflex.

WOW, my 02 only used grease on the PTO side, honest. Did the work myself...Dino

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
With 4000 on the entire motor i would do nothing less than a short block for piece of mind. I would change the pistons and rings out of it first thing as well. If you just do the top end you will be doing the bottom end before you know it. Don't cheap out!

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
I would take apart have the crank inspected and trued. Repack both ends of crank with isoflex, install new seals. Theres no guarantee a new crank will last any longer than the one you have. FWIW I have a 01 crank with over 8k miles on it with no problems. It was trued 2x.

Put new pistons and rings in.

These are just suggestions. If your not stressing the motor from mountain climbing constantly just leave it. The only thing that would worry me is the grease on the ends of crank. If they go dry, bad things happen.

Premium Features