• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro MTX clutching, stock engine

G

geno

Nov 26, 2007
I know some of you are already playing with the clutching on this sled. It needs it! You can tell from a few minutes riding the Nytro MTX, that it's going to be a blast, but man, did Yamaha miss the clutching boat! Just to get by, we turned up the secondary 10 degrees, and that helped, but we need a good setup. Who else?

Problem. low r's, slow backshifting, early engagement.

M

mnescape

Nov 3, 2004
Oak Grove, MN
Geno -

You KNOW I'm in!! This thing won't get out of it's own way on a powder climb. RPM's drop by 1000. That's HUGE!!!

I'm sure there will be some kits coming....still pretty early for testing. Also, been hearing this machine changes drastically after about 500 miles. I'm reluctant to make a lot of changes until then.

Like many others, I'll be following this thread VERY closely!!

Thanks!

Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
My guess is after break in they will be different. I noted that, after I rode
the demo's, the clutching was way off. Obviously Yamaha did nothing about
it. Either it gets better or Yamaha will be the new Ski-Doo of clutching.

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
Why screw with the clutching before the engine is even broken in guy's ???:confused: Since the rpms are going to change once the engine is broken in it would be a total guessing game. I have a feeling that there is a lot to be gained in a good clutch setup though on the Nytro.;) I am sure in the near future Hartman, Outlaw Motorsports ,Racin Station and other good Yami Mtn. tuner shops will have some good setups.. IMO..:)

G

geno

Nov 26, 2007
Just talked to "Gettinunstuck", Rob says his MTX runs like the demo did! Oh ya, we got snow here in minnie. So, looks like, maybe, they clutched them for the flatlands, and sent them to the mtns? Anyone got the stock clutching specs for mtn elevation, for the Nytro MTX? I will compare.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have 454 miles on my MTX and it's still slowly getting better. It's hard to tell, but the clutching doesn't seem like it needs as much work as before. I'll break the 500 mile mark tomorrow.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have 454 miles on my MTX and it's still slowly getting better. It's hard to tell, but the clutching doesn't seem like it needs as much work as before. I'll break the 500 mile mark tomorrow.

Yeah, yeah, rub it in why don't ya!!!

:D

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
What RPM does the rev limiter hit? and at what RPM is the Nytro suppose to run at? This is for stock sleds.

thanks...:)

M

mnescape

Nov 3, 2004
Oak Grove, MN
What RPM does the rev limiter hit? and at what RPM is the Nytro suppose to run at? This is for stock sleds.

thanks...:)

Peak is around 8,800. I believe the rev limiter kicks in at 9,200. I hit the limiter today in the yard running the high elevation set-up. This DEFINITELY won't work here!! ;)

snocattin

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
NW Montana
Interesting dyno graph from Excell Motorsports.
142 hp stock @ 8600rpm
148 hp with their exhaust @ 8800 rpm and stays at 147 to 9400 rpm.

Track dyno graph is depressing, you loose half your power in the drive train.

Anyone put a 162 track on a Nyto with stock tunnel...?? Does it fit...??
Putting one on mine next week, fingers crossed.

LG

Nytro_Dyno_Graph.jpg FXNytro_Track_Dyno_Graph.jpg

T
Dec 1, 2007
Get a set of adjustable weights like heelclickers; supertips or heavy hitters. The stock weights won,t backshift for crap in deep snow. If you make em work in the pow at hi elevation they will bounce off the rev limiter on harder snow. You have way more adjustability with a poloaris/ac style weight like the aftermarkets.

H
Nov 28, 2007
Revelstoke
What a ride today 3' of champane pow! The nitro rocks! Yeah slight clutching issues but people will always complain. 8400 rpm climbing pow 9100 rpms on trail what a huge difference in power 84 - 91! In my opinion this in only a secondary setup problem (helix/spring). I haven't got stuck yet because of this so I'm going to wait it out for a kit. I'm sick of wrenching that's why I went 4 stroke Yammi!

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Took the Nytro out for the first time yesterday... what a great sled. I agree, it pulls real hard out of the hole and through the mid range but falls flat on the top end. Only got about 60 miles on it but toward the end of the day it was running 8700-8900 rpm on semi packed trails. Couple times off trail it was too scetchy to look down at the tach. I'm going to get about 400 miles on it then the turbo... so I probably won't touch the clutching until then.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
OK heres my scenerio....I put on a 162 mav 16 and yes it fits....its tight but it fits. My dealer clutched the sled for yammies 6000 to 8000 feet specs. Going to revy this weekend and its going to be balls deep. No miles on her but I dont want to be suckin hind tit all weekend. Got some diff cat secondary springs to try. Should I weight up another set of primary weights with less tip weight just in case?? What do you guys think?? I know everyone says wait 500 miles but that aint gonna happen....tell me what to take with and I can throw it on on the hill thanks Brendon

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
You're charting new territory here now buddy,,,from what I've been hearing it sounds like it doesn't back shift quick enough,tighten the secondary and keep it spinning about 89-9 k, put the suspension in the upper hole and tighten the front skid shock.:D

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I would get rid of the yami sec spring and go with the red or red/yellow??from cat way more side pressure still upshifts but a great backshift Iset mine @02 or 03 I also think the stock weights are way too flat not aggressive enough on top end .....02

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
You're charting new territory here now buddy,,,from what I've been hearing it sounds like it doesn't back shift quick enough,tighten the secondary and keep it spinning about 89-9 k, put the suspension in the upper hole and tighten the front skid shock.:D

Does moving the suspension to the upper hole make that big of a difference? Mine seems to get around fine the way it is but if there is a noticable difference I'll move it.

Premium Features