• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3.2 Lug Track

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Soon ya all will have to run 6 Tooth drivers (maybe 5's) to fit the big paddle tracks. Shame they don't stretch the center to center distance to like 9"-9.5"-even 10" stock.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Hmm

Does anyone know, scientifically,,,,, mechanically engineeringly speaking..... How much actual resistance are these smaller drivers creating? Its common sense,,,,,,, or,,,, maybe not here,,,,, that the smaller the diameter we are turning these tracks around, the less efficient they are becoming...

Are smaller drivers and bigger lug tracks really the answer? Now, I realize if a sled has a GOB of power and gearing is aiding in mechanically overcoming this resistance that it's probably gonna work out....

But,,, maybe the engineers at Poo,,,, the same ones we like to think we are better than, engineeracanically anyhow,,, may be starting to realize something here..

Maybe,,,,, just maybe,,,,,, they are trying to lean towards efficiency????

Or,,,,,,, maybe not?

What do you professional sled critics think?

Last edited:
A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
Does anyone know, scientifically,,,,, mechanically engineeringly speaking..... How much actual resistance are these smaller drivers creating? Its common sense,,,,,,, or,,,, maybe not here,,,,, that the smaller the diameter we are turning these tracks around, the less efficient they are becoming...

Are smaller drivers and bigger lug tracks really the answer? Now, I realize if a sled has a GOB of power and gearing is aiding in mechanically overcoming this resistance that it's probably gonna work out....

But,,, maybe the engineers at Poo,,,, the same ones we like to think we are better than, engineeracanically anyhow,,, may be starting to realize something here..

Maybe,,,,, just maybe,,,,,, they are trying to lean towards efficiency????

Or,,,,,,, maybe not?

What do you professional sled critics think?

the smaller drivers don't affect the new tracks as much. old tracks were moulded differently and didn't like the smaller drivers because they weren't nearly as flexible. the efficiency loss from 7 tooth to 8 tooth with a new style track would be minimal. i rode a pro with a drop and roll and 8 tooth drivers for 2 seasons and i will never do a drop and roll again

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID

Assuming all things equal between drivers a 7T is 1-6.25"/7.125"= 12.2% less efficient compared to a 8T driver.

However all things are not equal as the 7T driver creates more clearance for snow evacuation through the tunnel which is one of the largest energy robbing mechanisms on the a snowmobile. It's clear that Polaris isn't aware of this huge performance loss they have or they simply aren't interested in building an efficient drivetrain.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
All i know is that a sled with a drop and roll resists changes in direction more than a sled without.
Hard and fast swap from carve one way to the other shows the difference in spacing between rotating masses.
Large drivers make the same effect more prominent.
A heavy track also exasperates the effect.
I think poo is acting along these lines.

Part of the reason the xp/xm resists changes in direction.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
All i know is that a sled with a drop and roll resists changes in direction more than a sled without.
Hard and fast swap from carve one way to the other shows the difference in spacing between rotating masses.
Large drivers make the same effect more prominent.
A heavy track also exasperates the effect.
I think poo is acting along these lines.

Part of the reason the xp/xm resists changes in direction.

Never really thought about the feel of small vs large drivers when carving. I guess rotating mass is going to be higher with a larger diameter.

D
Sep 10, 2014
Word from Camoplast is that it is the same weight as the Polaris 3.0" track!

Did you hear that from Camoplast themselves?

Thinking about doing the 3.2" on my axys 155 as well, but dont want to gain to much weight. :face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-win

What is the weight of the new 2.6", anybody know?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I'm waiting on the 3.4, no wait the 3.6, no wait didn't I read about a 4.0...
What is the tallest lug we are going see? I just cant see ever needing a 4" lug or being able to cool a sled on a low snow trail. I am also someone who cant see needing a 174. My turbo T3 163 is pretty insane already.

Premium Features