• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt problems with Xp

J
Nov 28, 2007
I went to Tog. saturday blew a belt at 20 miles. Not a mark on the sides or bottom looks like it came appart from the top. Jim

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
no personal exp here, but by what i've read, lots are saying the belts/clutches need cleaning when u pick em up from dealer.. and signs of oil/grease residue etc...in turn causing heat from slippage. just what i read from other posts goin around about the same issue.
that, and possible alignment problems...

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Did you break it in?
I gess you didn't get a chance to if you only got 20 miles on it.

The owners manual say 30 miles no WOT and NO hard pulls.

I'm not saying you did'nt break it in I was just qurious.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Breaking in a belt properly in the mountains is nearly impossible. Just my experience.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I agree

Breaking in a belt properly in the mountains is nearly impossible. Just my experience.

It can be done though, If not how can you blame the maufacturer?

I have never got the 30 miles on one, but havn't had belt problems either.
If I did I would make shure to get the 30 miles on the next one.
Then if it still blew , I would blame BRP .

Just seems allot of people are jumping the gun saying the sled burns belts.Then in the same post saying it holds 8200 RPMs all day.
Then I have to listen to my buddys flip crap about how I'm going to have to buy 2 belts every ride.

Just my thoughts, not trying to say people arn't breaking in there belts.

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
recall on gearing

Ski-doo announced a recall on gearing the 154 down to a 19 on the top to replace the 21. This is supposed to correct the belt problem. Check with your dealer.

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
Ski-doo announced a recall on gearing the 154 down to a 19 on the top to replace the 21. This is supposed to correct the belt problem. Check with your dealer.

Brotha NOS,
I'm pretty certain my dealer isn't going to know about this one and would love to know more details regarding this. Do you know if it is a "recall" or "service bulletin"? Will this be on BRP's penny or is the owner of the sled going to have to pony up for this?

Thanks,
-John

S
So does anybody have part # for XP racer motor mounts. I've cleaned the clutches, I've replaced the torque stopper with a harder one, and i have a screen kit. This thing is still pealing the cords out. The motor is moving way too much. I weigh 155 lbs the sled flat out rips and am not gearing down.:confused:

S
Nov 27, 2007
my xp154 is in the dealers shop today and i will know for sure tomorrow if they make gear changes. i took it in because the clickers had no effect on top rpm. i concluded that the belt was slipping .

S
Nov 26, 2007
North Pole , Alaska
After 7 miles of easy trail riding i already had a thread hanging out of my belt on my 154 X. I cut the thread off and continued riding ended up riding 30 miles but had to trim belt thread several times. Before i rode i cleaned clutches with acetone and also cleaned the belt and removed the plastic and tool kit from clutch cover. The clutches were getting very hot while riding. I am taking it to dealer to let them double check alignment and see what ski-doo has for a fix. I would rather not gear down any, i think it might help to add some weight to pins and turn clickers up a little and then cut some vents in side panels to get some air movement.

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
No Recall

I talked with my dealer today and asked about the reall on the gearing. He said it is not actually a recall or service bulletin, It is a what Skidoo is classifying as a DEEP SNOW SUGGESTION. If you spend a lot of time in Deep Powder they suggest that you gear down from the 20 on top to a 19. So guess who pays for that one.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Belt adjustment

I have found that this new XP needs the belt adjusted frequently to keep the clutch in "first gear". I do not think you have to go down to a 19 tooth sproket. Do the same thing by keeping the belt "cord line" level with the top of the secondary. Having the belt low in the secondary is like always starting out in "2nd gear" ! and always in a gear too high causing excessive heat. The guys i've been with having "hot clutches" have not been making this adjustment. It will keep the sled in 1st gear when it's needed. I've been riding in deep snow , pulling hard and have cool clutches and still on the origional belt.

A
Nov 26, 2007
What material are the xp belts using. The Polaris 900 had same issues with the same eng jackshaft configuration. The have gone to a MBL material for the updated belt and have pretty much eliminated the problem. Cat and Yamaha have some belts with that material also.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
LOL, sorry guys that's funny.

I talked with my dealer today and asked about the reall on the gearing. He said it is not actually a recall or service bulletin, It is a what Skidoo is classifying as a DEEP SNOW SUGGESTION. If you spend a lot of time in Deep Powder they suggest that you gear down from the 20 on top to a 19. So guess who pays for that one.

Aren't these sleds meant for deep snow? :confused: And the service bulletins begin.:eek:

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
Skidoo website shows small sprockets as
146 - 21
154 - 20
163 - 19
I have not hat the chaincase apart. Is the website wrong?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
gearing

163 = 21/49
154 = 21/45
146 = 23/45

I have 20's for the 154....and the 146 needs a 22 or a 21 and a shorter chain ...the 163 is close enough...BJ

Premium Features