• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pipes for Polaris non-VES motor in an 02 EDGE chassis

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
We are putting a non-VES UB770 into an 02 EDGE chassis. What twin pipes will work?
All I can find is VES 800 pipes for sale.

Will 800 VES pipes work on the non-VES engine or is this a major tuning problem?

I have GENII pipes that will not fit the chassis since the motor sits so low in the EDGE.

Has anyone welded up different angle exhaust flanges and used older pipes?

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
You should try and find a set of crankshop pipes.

You def can run the 800 pipes, You also can cut and fix the angle of the head pipe, dont add or take a bunch from it and you will be fine. if you cut onefive times, cut the other, or take it out in the flange.

R
Nov 26, 2007
call the crank shop, they can build you a correct set of new pipes, always good to work with, ran there pipes on a couple 800 poos.

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
I guess I will try and cut or make new exhaust flanges for the Gen II pipes as an option.

Any exhaust pipe experts that explain the difference between a set of VES vs. non-VES twin pipes :confused: chamber size, length, etc. ??????

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
The cylinder casting on the VES motor around the exhaust port is thicker than the non VES. This along with the angle of the Y pipe is part of the reason the VES pipe will not fit the non VES motor sitting in the tipped forward position. You will need to mod the non VEs y pipe to the correct angle. Because the VES is shorter, I don't know of a fix to use that pipe. Sounds like the other guys on here have run the VES pipe on the non VES motor so I would try mating up the non VES Y with the VES pipe. It should fit the chassis and all of your mods will be confined to the Y pipe.

One more thing, which you probably already have done. Use the Edge carb adapters so you carbs sit level and match the air box.

Last edited:
D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
i'd try pretty hard to run twin pipes.

the 770's were really lazy on the bottom end anyway, and if you put a single pipe on it she's gonna be a turd on the bottom.

the twin pipes run a LOT better on the bottom end then the big singles.

800 pipes should run just fine. the differences between ves and non ves were almost entirely due to angles of the exhaust outlet. length is actually the same onthe SLP Y pipes.

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to see if the 800 VES pipes will work.
My concern was on the chamber size differences, if any.
Yes crankshop works good on these but this is a motor I pulled out of my old sled to get a sled ready for my son. It may just have to go back in that one;)
Anyone have crankshops for sale to fit this chassis?
Thanks for the tips on cutting the pipes.
I may try SLP VES twins for now just to get him going and then go back to modify the pipes I have now - Yes this will have twin pipes no matter what.
Thanks for the tip on the carb adapters for the motor angle. Lee

R
Dec 4, 2007
I am fitting a set of HTG ves pipes in a 98 xc with a 01 800. I had to make a single cut (square to the pipe)about 8" down the head pipe and rotate 180 for the pto. lined up perfect. For the mag side the angle was a bit more severe. I made an angle cut about 3-4mm off the center line(square to the pipe). Doing this made a bit of a pointed bend but its not too bad. Could have done more cuts to make the bend less sharp but I would have to add a few cuts to the other pipe. Here is a before shot. I have to get the pics from my camera for the after.

DSC00146.JPG

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
Thanks roostking
The motor is sitting more horizontal in that chassis. I have a motor that sits tilted more forward and the exhaust flanges point straight into the bulkhead.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I just fit some Gen II psi pipes on my Polaris based 995 in an edge chassis. I cut the exhaust flange and made the mag side straight out and the pto has a very slight angle down to it. The pipes themselves I left alone.

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
Eli, sounds like the info I need. Got any pics or measurements for the exhaust flange trim? I have been asking questions on this because everything on the GEN II pipes is ceramic coated and I don't want to cut anything that doesn't have to be on these pipes to make them fit. Thanks, Lee

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I'll get some pics today. It was pretty easy. I also have ceramic coated pipes and didn't want to start cutting and welding that stuff!

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
Here are the pics. Sorry they are small. They are jpeg not jpg and the size was limited. I still have to figure that one out on this new forum. This new forum is like a new sled-it takes some getting used to.

SSC_1580.JPG SSC_1581.JPG SSC_1582.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features