• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interactive Display

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
I wanted to share with those who may not be aware but I was informed today that to get full use of the interactive display you will need to have ordered an electric start equipped sled.

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Really? I just got my Snowcheck confirmation and it says both manual start AND interactive display. Someone please clarify as I do not want electric start!!

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
I was notified because I had ordered the same configuration as you and it processed that way confirmation email and all . No E start with interactive display and two year warranty.

Has Carls called and confirmed this with Polaris?

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
That's what Jack is telling his/ my sales guy. We'll see. I even have my conf. sheet from Polaris directly that shows the same thing. Maybe it's a West Coast thing :face-icon-small-coo

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Ah ha....I've edited the post above to be more clear. what I've found out is that it will work but you won't get full benefit of the system. If you're using the gauge to actively track and mark waypoints I wouldn't suggest shutting off the sled longer than 20 seconds as it was explained to me that it will not store the data.

I plan to keep mine as is (manual start w/ interactive display). My interest is mainly in being able to snap shot where I am at in relation to the parking lot at any given point in time via connectivity to the polaris trails app.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
If you'd like a gauge system that doesn't require a battery I'd suggest looking into what I'm working on:
http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system

The Polaris IDD is an improvement over the usual gauges on sleds, but it really has a ton of design flaws that will prevent a mountain rider from using it to replace a GPS they already carry. Areial maps, easy updates and map caching, no requirement for a battery, and data logging are just a few of the things that the IDD is missing.

The NS1 is being beta tested by a couple riders on Arctic Cat right now, and although there are issues I'm working on, they reported they liked it. I've put about 900 miles on a prototype myself, and I stopped carrying my Colorado that I used to use.

The Polaris compatibility is about half done. Just working on ECU codes and a few other details.

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
what i found

POLARIS INTERACTIVE DIGITAL DISPLAY o QUESTION: If a MY16 sled is SnowChecked with the Polaris Interactive Digital Display, then will the sled automatically come with a battery even if it was not SnowChecked as an Electric Start model? o ANSWER: No. However, the Polaris Interactive Digital Display will function without a battery but when the engine is shutdown or PERC is used, then the PIDD and GPS will completely shut down. When the engine is restarted, the PIDD and GPS will power-up normally and run normally – but the GPS will take up to 120 seconds to obtain enough satellites to gain GPS lock.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
If you'd like a gauge system that doesn't require a battery I'd suggest looking into what I'm working on:
http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system

The Polaris IDD is an improvement over the usual gauges on sleds, but it really has a ton of design flaws that will prevent a mountain rider from using it to replace a GPS they already carry. Areial maps, easy updates and map caching, no requirement for a battery, and data logging are just a few of the things that the IDD is missing.

The NS1 is being beta tested by a couple riders on Arctic Cat right now, and although there are issues I'm working on, they reported they liked it. I've put about 900 miles on a prototype myself, and I stopped carrying my Colorado that I used to use.

The Polaris compatibility is about half done. Just working on ECU codes and a few other details.

When is this product going to be available for purchase. You keep talking about it, but are we going to see something soon? Like this year?

Mar 6, 2008
I wanted to share with those who may not be aware but I was informed today that to get full use of the interactive display you will need to have ordered an electric start equipped sled.

This is from the manual:

Snowmobiles equipped with electric start and/or
IDD are equipped with a battery. If the key
remains in the RUN position after using the
engine stop switch to stop the engine, the IDD
remains active.
NOTE: Turn the key off when the IDD is not in
use.
The IDD is not dependent on the battery while
the engine is running, but the battery supplies a
constant power source when the engine is
turned off or when the engine is transitioning
between forward and reverse operation. If the
battery is not installed, the IDD reboots when the
engine is started and when electronic reverse
(PERC) is used.
See your vehicle Owner’s Manual for battery
maintenance information and / or see your
authorized Polaris dealer for service

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I bought the display and put it on my 15 last year. No electric start and what they are saying is true, does not seem to be a big deal you will still get a bread crumb trail where ever you go. The only watch out is once you get in tight trees the gps has a very hard time keeping a strong signal. I have had as much trouble keeping a signal it tight terrain as I have trying to re-aquire after a restart. That being said the display works awesome to orient yourself at any time just zoom out and find a fire lane or trail or POI that you have marked. I still carry my garmin in case I would lose the sled for some reason but I never turned it on all season.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
When is this product going to be available for purchase. You keep talking about it, but are we going to see something soon? Like this year?

Over the next two months I will be finishing the circuit board design.

The next 3 months after that will be dedicated to final design of the mount and display case, along setting up a production method. During that time the data logging and gauge faces will get a final touch.

Starting around September a Kickstarter project will be launched that will allow people interested in getting the gauge system first to do so.

Also around September I will be seeking trail map builders. Basically I'll be looking for people who are willing to build trail maps using Google Earth and PDF trail map overlays by tracing over the trails with the Tracks tool. I'll be offering good discounts to folks willing to spend some time generating maps.

First copies of the gauge system will ship to early beta testers in the mountains as soon as they can ride (late October probably). First paid copies will ship likely 4 weeks after that, and more general availability will be early January.

This gauge system isn't something that you build overnight. The system has been in development for a little over a year now (although about 4 months was dedicated to building a GPS transponder system), and just this January was it complete enough to replace the stock gauge on my sled.

Last edited:
S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
POLARIS INTERACTIVE DIGITAL DISPLAY o QUESTION: If a MY16 sled is SnowCheck the Polaris Interactive Digital Display, then will the sled automatically come with a battery even if it was not SnowChecked as an Electric Start model? o ANSWER: No. However, the Polaris Interactive Digital Display will function without a battery but when the engine is shutdown or PERC is used, then the PIDD and GPS will completely shut down. When the engine is restarted, the PIDD and GPS will power-up normally and run normally – but the GPS will take up to 120 seconds to obtain enough satellites to gain GPS lock.

Where did you find this? This sounds exactly like what was explained to me yesterday.

I strongly have no desire to have a battery on my sled but have no problem waiting a short bit for the gauge to pick back up.

Mar 6, 2008
Where did you find this? This sounds exactly like what was explained to me yesterday.

I strongly have no desire to have a battery on my sled but have no problem waiting a short bit for the gauge to pick back up.

I downloaded the PIDD manual from the polaris website because I want to download tracks into it for reference, the rep said you couldn't but the manual says you can. This doesn't mean they can't change the RMK to no battery, but that is what the manual said.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
just an fyi, i ran a IDD on my RMK last year with electric start. I know the IDD works without battery just fine. All the battery does is allow you to play with your IDD when you shut sled off without key. It also helps when your configuring the IDD/updating the bios of it....other than that, should work as intended. You might have a slight delay in aquiring satellites once in while but i didn't find it that much of pita really. worked well i thought.

Attachments

• 2014-12-23 00.20.18.jpg
    2014-12-23 00.20.18.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 118
Premium Features