• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TURBO's THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY...Lets talk about it!!

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
did those cutler turbo boys find out if that 53 series was smoked or not . have they got those new intakes fixed yet ?
mike:D

S

Scotford

Oct 1, 2007
NW Alberta
BD Turbo'd 700 Dragon.........Contol Box Smoked from new cost...almost 18,000....because wanted to light a match to it on the hill....

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Suppose you suck something into your Cutler Aerocharger or any 53 for that matter. Honestly if you have 2g lying around how quick are you going to be back on the snow? Is there still only one guy that can fix them? I'm thinking if you bust one mid winter you should get cozy with your backup sled. I sure hope they build a ton of them this season. It will possibly bring the price down and availability up.:mad:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Ya scotford, tell us the whole story? that sounds terrible... :(

jonce, just make sure you get the metal intake instead of the melting plastic!!!

Putting my turbo on tonight. Hope to take lots of pictures and of course, video!!!

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
Anthony i had a turbo on a RX1 for 3 years with minor exhaust cracking problems and last year built a highmark rec 600 turbo kit and the only problem i had with it was the stock 600 pipe could not handle the exhaust pressure and cracked but was cured with a dragon 700 stock pipe unfortunatly i had to sell the sled this summer to buy the wife a fifth wheel camper from what i have read is if you want the big horses go with a garett and for boondocking go with the aero there are only two things i dont like about the aero and that is price and availability of the turbo itself.

Ben

bdkit, gen1, part season, 500mi:
-Turbo problems=None
-Tuning Issues= 1 on a scale of 10 being worst. (Dealing with this ie; changing your control box no's is way quicker than changing jets for higher elevations and temps for example)
-1 box of spark plugs
-No tow-outs to date

AND, loving every minute of it.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I've ran a 53 Aero for almost 5 years. The only problems I've had is cracking the exhaust pipe. I have only smoked 1 piston and it was my own fault. Trying a new auto turbo this year for comparison.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
well it sounds like the areos are very user friendly as long as u keep the boost down and dont get greedy . i guess that is where i differ from others i would push it to the limit everyday and try to go past and then smoke it LOL i have no self control when it comes to power . if i know it has more i have to have it . just like running 18psi on the garrett last year . that power is compleatly insane to say the least . but not enough clutching to keep her there. nor do u need that much power in washington . well at least where i ride LOL.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
well it sounds like the areos are very user friendly as long as u keep the boost down and dont get greedy . i guess that is where i differ from others i would push it to the limit everyday and try to go past and then smoke it LOL i have no self control when it comes to power . if i know it has more i have to have it . just like running 18psi on the garrett last year . that power is compleatly insane to say the least . but not enough clutching to keep her there. nor do u need that much power in washington . well at least where i ride LOL.

Come on up here to Colorado Mike. That will keep that 18psi of boost in check.

Sam

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
oh ya sam im sure . ive seen video of ur riding ares looks like a wild time LOL i may be out ur way this season not sure yet . i am meeting mark around presedents day in idaho or utah u should tag along

D
Nov 26, 2007
Your Mom's House
I smoked the Mitsubishi turbo on my King Cat last year due to an oil line failure. A new (not remanufactured) turbo from CPI was $550 and I had it the next day. An Aero turbo would have been way more time and money. I do like the self contained feature on the Aero. I have a buddy who has ran them for years and swears by them. The people in his group with automotive turbos can wax him every time though. There are positives to both systems. Pick your poison.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls, Wa
I haven't smoked any this year but I haven't been riding yet either. It's true that the four strokes are a bunch easier on pistons but let me tell ya, when they get hungry and eat one....it makes for a long day.

Premium Features