• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKS vs RMK

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Are there any questions or misunderstandings about what is what between the RMK and the SKS chassis?

Ask them here and I can post answers.
If I can't answer, I'll let you know and get back to you with proper info ASAP.

F

Fella

Dec 20, 2012
St. John's, NL Canada
Am i right in thinking that the SKS should overheat less? i currently have a 155 RMK Assault and i do have overheating issues on the 30-40 kms of trial i use to get to the back country. I am assuming the SKS will be as good in the deep stuff as my assault but be better on the trail. is this correct?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The SKS should virtually eliminate heating issues, I have never seen a RMK with a front cooler overheat even on marginal snow.

SKS has the Pro stance,bars and brakes. Assault shocks and tunnel braces. Aluminum over structure,front cooler, and chaincase like the standard RMK had. Kind of a mix of all 3 sleds into one.

Last edited:

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
Not familiar w Polaris platform at all; What is the cliff notes version on difference between;
RMK/SKS/ASSUALT

??????

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The SKS should virtually eliminate heating issues, I have never seen a RMK with a front cooler overheat even on marginal snow.

Have both RMK's, pro and non-pro. RMK with cooler can still get hot at low speeds and poor snow conditions, but does not get as hot, and not as fast, as the pro. I can't say one cools faster than the other. Can't say I ever overheated either of them, always get them in the snow first. RMK with cooler does take longer to warm up, especially from dead cold, since the bypass to the front cooler is always active, not thermostat controlled. Never seen much difference in cold shock temps.

Anyone who gets a SKS would be well advised to get scratchers, especially with the 2.6 or 2.4. Not just for coolers, but also for track - the every other window clipped tracks keep weight down, but don't like poor snow going up or down. You will get windows wear at poor snow or high speed. FWIW.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Have both RMK's, pro and non-pro. RMK with cooler can still get hot at low speeds and poor snow conditions, but does not get as hot, and not as fast, as the pro. I can't say one cools faster than the other. Can't say I ever overheated either of them, always get them in the snow first. RMK with cooler does take longer to warm up, especially from dead cold, since the bypass to the front cooler is always active, not thermostat controlled. Never seen much difference in cold shock temps.

Anyone who gets a SKS would be well advised to get scratchers, especially with the 2.6 or 2.4. Not just for coolers, but also for track - the every other window clipped tracks keep weight down, but don't like poor snow going up or down. You will get windows wear at poor snow or high speed. FWIW.

Such a great point.

A radiator in the front will not protect your track, slide rails and hifax.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
thats why im thinking it is nice not to see the high temps but you need scratchers for the slides and track anyways. Road my 163 around home super slow, just above melting, with almost ice conditions and seen 150 degrees max....... If you dont want a 3" or a QD get the sks.....

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
thats why im thinking it is nice not to see the high temps but you need scratchers for the slides and track anyways. Road my 163 around home super slow, just above melting, with almost ice conditions and seen 150 degrees max....... If you dont want a 3" or a QD get the sks.....

Or a 163 :(

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ok, riddle me this Scooter......

Why, oh why would Polaris NOT offer an SKS 163.....

It seems quite foolish to me......

Quite foolish indeed....

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013

SKS has the Pro stance,bars and brakes. Assault shocks and tunnel braces. Aluminum over structure,front cooler, and chaincase like the standard RMK had. Kind of a mix of all 3 sleds into one.

great info, so the SKS has the tunnel bracing of the Assault? i am going to be pounding mine in the midwest as well, the bracing would be nice.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Something I just noticed: The SKS with the 2.6 track comes with the snowflap that is on the 3" pro RMK. THat's what it shows on the snowcheck build sheet and my dealer put up a picture of an SKS that he took when he went to the release show, and it also has the 3" snowflap

10422493_793729637374983_5500086060661630096_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
There is a 3" assault with a pro perforated flap at my dealer.

I think the prototypes are random for bumpers and flaps.

Premium Features