• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best truck battery?

C
Dec 13, 2004
Minnesota
I want to replace the batteries in my truck before winter really kicks in. I've got an 04 Dodge diesel and I plow snow commercially so my batteries get a lot of use from that.

I am not trying to be a bargain hunter, I'll pay whatever I have to pay to get the good stuff. I just need to know what the good stuff is!!

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
We use interstate on our fleet here at fire district #3 (53 vehicles). Have tried several brands and the Interstates hold up the best for us.

BigT

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Optima, maybe a commercial yellow top for all the winter starting. Had a red top in my F-150 and it lasted over 5 years and was still going strong when it went through the fan and got cut in half.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Batteries

I myself have had nothing but problems with Interstate. Two of them have blown up on me (one in my face). Never had that happen to me with ANY other battery.

My choice is Optima. They are expensive, but they can be mounted at any angle without problems. I have also had good luck with Delco.

N

NDflatlander

Nov 21, 2007
Jamestown, ND
We have not had good luck with interstate's on our farm either. We've had good luck with John Deere, Delco, and Optima batteries. I think JD still has batteries that fit passenger vehicle applications.

J

JohnnyH

Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
I have had Good luck with Delco, Best thing about Delco is that you can get it warrantied at any GM dealer.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Optima. I have one in a lift that gets used once or twice a year for 2-3 hours that I put in 5 years ago. Still strong.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Optima is very good and less prone to dead cells. We run class 8 trucks, so the batteries we use are built different than a passenger vehicle. The same brand will be good in a car or pick-up and suck in a heavy truck. Charging rates a shock stability varys greatly. There are only a handfull of manufactures, but they build them under many labels and specs. The one that makes them for Mack trucks, markets under 52 labels! The gel cell's take the spiking and rapid drain of running snowplows better than a wet cell.

Premium Features