• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent front end, summit xm

P
Mar 3, 2013
so i hit a stump under the snow riding this weekend.
i hit it at full countersteer just as i hit the throttle. was going slow but it still got messed up.

i have the gnr braces.

where the left lower a-arm attaches to the spindle is about an inch back compared to the right side.

i switched the a-arm for a straight one. but the left side is still back 4/5"

where the upper a-arms attach to the spindle is even to both sides.

i can not see where the front end is crooked. where do i look?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the whole nose of the sled gets twisted, flip the sled on its side and you can start to measure where the whole suspension cradle gets torqued sideways. S Module is most likely tweaked a bit. they aren't terrible expensive and fairly easy to swap if you have some decent tools.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Seems they almost all get bent at one time or another. If the shock isn't hitting the arms, I'd ride it the rest of the season as is, then swap in an S-mod this summer. Or, ride it as is until you're about ready to sell it, then fix it. That way you only do it once..

P
Mar 3, 2013
yes all three grip n rip braces installed.

i looked in to it furhter today. and it seems that the front of the smodule is shifted to the left.

P
Nov 27, 2007
I have dealt with several of these this year, I would look further down the line we had some bend the stub end of the ball joint and some with bent spindle's.

P
Mar 3, 2013
the spindle was bent way far out of shape. causing the skis to go bananas

thanks for the help guys.

does anyone know what the tolerances are for a brand new sled. are they straight as an arrow. if i measure the left lower a-arm left side vs right there is a 4mm difference.

M
Feb 22, 2008
4mm is very little. I'd assume manufacturing tolerances to be anywhere from +/- 2 to +/- 6mm depending on the location/area on the sled. I've nailed a few things with my new summit and have been very paranoid this season since I totaled my new Freeride at the beginning of the season from a rock hit. I Don't want to start taking measuremets on mine bc then when I find things slightly off it will drive me insane. Haha

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
the spindle was bent way far out of shape. causing the skis to go bananas

thanks for the help guys.

does anyone know what the tolerances are for a brand new sled. are they straight as an arrow. if i measure the left lower a-arm left side vs right there is a 4mm difference.

If your shocks appear equally centered and the ski tips are inline, you are golden. Sounds like the braces and the weak spindle may have saved you from a bigger job.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Two buddies here have Grip n Rip also. One has replaced an arm already after multiple rock hits, the sled is still twisted as heck, when looking at ski tips.
Another bud had a getoff with a rock, dead stop, bent the spindle all to hell on a T3. We replaced the spindle, something is still a little "off", I cannot figure out what it is, between his skidplate and grip n rip I cannot see the damage, but it is there.
Bottom line, the GNR may have saved my T3 buddy from a costly fix, even though the sled is still twisted. Very light difference between left and right skis. My other buddy probably wishes the sled was totaled so he could get his money out of it with insurance, the left and right ski difference is so big that any idiot would notice it, the resale value is gone.
The fix is for Skidoo to re-engineer their front end, at the very least build in some failure points on the arms so they bend/break before the frame does.
We thought about drilling some holes in arms, or some partial cuts to try to accomplish this, but couldn't find anyone willing to go hit stuff on purpose for testing. :)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
If your shocks look centered and the ski tips are inline, you are golden. Sounds like the braces and the weak spindle may have saved you from a bigger job.

Oh, and on the T3/RAS2 sleds, the shock is offset to the front by a good amount. No longer centered on the upper arm.

Premium Features