• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thanks A lot Axys!!!!!!

A
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for making the price of every single mountain sled including the 2015 pro and the new xm I bought drop by 2k minimum. Do snowmobilers really have so much money they can just dump a sled every year. I've seen 2015 sleds with a 3 yr warranty for $7500 and 2012 turbo pros that are clean for $7200. I'm starting to think that to keep up with the jone's you have to independently wealthy.

I might just take up flying airplanes-I think it'll save me a ton of money.

A
Jan 21, 2014
Actually I respect Polaris for having such a great chassis, it's more about how fickle mountain riders are, and how much the throw away mentality hurts all of the values of our sleds

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Actually I respect Polaris for having such a great chassis, it's more about how fickle mountain riders are, and how much the throw away mentality hurts all of the values of our sleds

That's very true. I can't keep up with the jones's. I'm coming off of a 2004 and snowchecking a 2016. I will likely have that sled at least 5-6 years given it doesn't turn out to be a lemon. A lot of guys on here talk like a couple grand is nothing to update every year. Personally I'd rather stick it out with a sled that I know

A
Jan 21, 2014
All those pictures with Arctic Cat and Polaris having snow on the under carriage, did that tactic not work out for Arctic Cat. :juggle:

I know based on the video my 2012 m1100 t weighed less then my friends 2011 pro 155 after riding all day. I mean who ever thought of that crappy marketing should either be fired or get a 100k bonus!!!

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Thank you Cat!

After the first year of the Proclimb the value of my old M went up!

Don't think ^^that^^ will happen with the Axys... If the engine is what they say the rest are in trouble.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
A lot of guys on here talk like a couple grand is nothing to update every year.

For many of us who enjoy riding 50-70 days per winter (conditions permitting) the reliability and capability of the new sleds makes the cost worth it. What I have found is with that many days and miles on the snow and the cost of trying to upkeep sleds with a few 1000 miles on it tends to match up fairly evenly with just buying new, enjoying the golden miles of the sled and passing it along for the guys looking for a newer sled at a good price.

Its the name of the game, and honestly, im stoked for the AXYS, yes, more spendy and I will be taking a hit on my current sled selling, but I like my mod sleds, and honestly I will most likely do a Ti can and maybe a few other tiny things to it, but reality is the sled is basically ready to rail for the next few seasons and be under full factory warranty.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Thanks for making the price of every single mountain sled including the 2015 pro and the new xm I bought drop by 2k minimum. Do snowmobilers really have so much money they can just dump a sled every year. I've seen 2015 sleds with a 3 yr warranty for $7500 and 2012 turbo pros that are clean for $7200. I'm starting to think that to keep up with the jone's you have to independently wealthy.

I might just take up flying airplanes-I think it'll save me a ton of money.

Yes. A lot of sledders spend big bucks on their addiction and will do whatever it takes to ensure they get their fix the following season. Chasing the latest models is definately for those with money to burn.....unfortunately. Growing up in a sledding family in the 1970's it was once an affordable family sport. I believe it still can be, but not on the latest, greatest iron.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
MSRP is also just that, suggested. I'm sure you will be able to get into a new AXYS outright for a reasonable, comparable to past years price. Golden ticket holders get money off. Holdovers a year from now will be $10k-$11k, especially if these weather patterns continue. '15 holdovers are already super cheap, I don't see the big deal here. The prices never look great right off the bat, but you know the figures aren't what you're gonna spend in hard money at your dealer. An AXYS next fall will be cheaper than now, and probably have good rebates or special offers as well.

No real surprise. New tech, new price increase. If it was too much then they'd really have problems.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
lets just hope Poo will keep up with the last 15 years with the 800 reliability:face-icon-small-blu

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Yes. A lot of sledders spend big bucks on their addiction and will do whatever it takes to ensure they get their fix the following season. Chasing the latest models is definately for those with money to burn.....unfortunately. Growing up in a sledding family in the 1970's it was once an affordable family sport. I believe it still can be, but not on the latest, greatest iron.

Agreed - if you are going to ride the latest and greatest it's an expensive sport. I have 3 Pro's now of various ages and I am checking 2 more in the 550class for beginner sleds. Axys will have to wait a season or two for me.

But this sport is only as expensive as you make it. There are a lot of great older sleds out there for cheap. I think this sport is actually cheaper than owning ATV's when you are willing to ride older iron. My sister and brother-in-law got in the game this past winter with 2 older sleds and spent right at $2,000 doing it. They had a blast, didn't break the bank, got the itch and will probably now start upgrading.

If you don't like the high cost of new then wait and buy used. 15 years ago I bought a top of the line truck for $30,000 now that same truck is $65,000 - who'd a thunk it? Prices go up on everything that's just a fact of life.

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
With the prices of the brand new sleds so high it should keep the demand for the used ones higher, too. The problem with the Pro, however, are the reliability issues. Nobody wants to buy an older Pro without some warranty left so you have to give them away. With the difference it'll cost me to upgrade from my 2011 to a 2016 I can buy a brand new 2015 holdover and keep both. Rediculous!

You either have to snowcheck every year and loose $1200-$1500 per season to ride the latest hype under warranty or buy holdovers and pay significantly less out of pocket but you're still gonna loose $1000 per season. And pray that you don't loose a motor that'll cost ya $3k-$4k to fix in addition to that depreciation.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I have come to realize that I will never own a brand new sled, not in my budget. The high price of the new sleds keeps the price of the 2/3 year old sleds at a range I still can't afford, but the 4/5 year old sleds aren't that far behind in performance, (IMHO), and have come down to a price affordable to me and my family members. I am thankful for that and I love where the industry is at right now. I still get to hop on the new sleds and ride from time to time to feel the difference, and there is a difference, but at the end of the day I have had just as much fun as my friends with new iron. Or so I think!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
For many of us who enjoy riding 50-70 days per winter (conditions permitting) the reliability and capability of the new sleds makes the cost worth it. What I have found is with that many days and miles on the snow and the cost of trying to upkeep sleds with a few 1000 miles on it tends to match up fairly evenly with just buying new, enjoying the golden miles of the sled and passing it along for the guys looking for a newer sled at a good price.

Its the name of the game, and honestly, im stoked for the AXYS, yes, more spendy and I will be taking a hit on my current sled selling, but I like my mod sleds, and honestly I will most likely do a Ti can and maybe a few other tiny things to it, but reality is the sled is basically ready to rail for the next few seasons and be under full factory warranty.

I understand where you are coming from. But I couldn't afford to ride 50-70 days a year either. So again, you and I are in different tax brackets. I put on somewhere between 400 and 600 miles a year, on a good year.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Whether you keep a vehicle (or toy) for 10 years or upgrade every year or two, you'll net a VERY close difference in depreciation.

So do you spread that hit out over time, or do you stash away the cash to do it all at once?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
To the OP, it's the lousy lack of snow that have driven down the resale of sleds. The jacked up price of the new AXYS will only drive the values of older sleds up. Just imagine if they sold a new AXYS for $10-$12k. How much do you think your old sled would be worth then?

Now, for me, I never worry about price. I'm not rich, by any means, but I first look at my sled and ask if it's holding me back. My motto I live by is 'Never let your equipment hold you back'. So, would my talent benefit from upgrading to a 2016 from a slightly modded 2012? I don't think so, at this point. If at some point my ability warrants an upgrade to the AXYS, then I'll figure out a way to buy one. I could care less how 'new' my sled is.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
taking the hit early while the sled is still new enough that lots of people want it for a couple grand less seems to be the most logical, if you can afford it in the first place. It also really depends on where you're located. There are lots of mountain sleds for sale privately around here in ND and MN for to high of prices. People don't like giving their money away with a 1 or 2 year old machine, but if you look at sleds for sale in mountain states on the classifieds, much better deals to be had. I wouldn't say there are a ton less mtn. sleds available around here, the market is just different. It costs a lot more to get them to the hill for us. I let my last pro go for a little less than I thought it was worth, but when there are so many options, the next guy is just as hopeful to make a deal as I was.

New sled prices are awfully high, but as I said before, you won't be paying that sticker price, and if you are close to those figures, you're getting lots of warranty or accessories or both. Holdover spring prices are always the best of deals when it comes to new machines. Someone with 100-300 miles on their sled considers it new still, and usually isn't going to come down on price much. Been there, done that. Its tough when you have a new toy in the shop and you're not getting to use it like you thought you would. Makes it tougher to give it away at a bargain.

I think there are all sorts of great machines out there to choose from. I often wish I had all sorts of money to just buy up good older sleds for great prices I run across every now and then. If things got really tight for me but I could still ride some, I'd dump my '15 Pro TD for $10k with a couple add-ons and go find an '06 M7 for $3k. I'd love to have an M7 backup sled laying around, but when you only get a few hundred miles on a year and your RMK has always ran flawlessly, It's hard to justify another newer machine.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Why don't we start complaining about resale on clothing and electronics. This is an expensive sport. A sled is not an investment, it is a toy. The fun is worth more than the money lost.

Premium Features