• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MFD vs. 2 Extra years of warranty?????

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Which is worth more in the long run, Interactive Display or the extra 2 years of warranty (4 vs, 2)?

Let me preface this:

Probably wont keep sled more than 2 years, already have Garmin 650 that I still don't know how to use (LOL)

Don't want to text or be able to see Texts when I ride, part of my enjoyment of being in Back Country is I can tune out daily annoyances (Work, Family, etc...)

Wont be buying ES model so don't even know if this will work without sled running? (maybe it has a self contained battery)

Most of time gauge is covered in snow and really only use 3 funtions:

TRIP, TACH & TEMP

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
On the non ES RMK models there will not be a battery for the gauge. Instead you will start the sled and wait about 5 seconds for the new gauge to boot up. Seems worthless although the display looks neat. 4 year warrantee is probably the smarter choice considering it's essentially a first year RMK motor and look at the great track history in that department. There will be minor issues and id like that warrantee. If we were smart we would wait tell 2017 but I'm impatient and want the best sled now. Loving the powder coat options!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm going with the warranty.

In my eyes, even if you don't keep the sled more than two years, the warranty will help you sell it when you upgrade.

Like you said, who wants to see texts on it? I don't hardly look at the dash anyway unless it's to check temps. To someone who would use the GPS it MIGHT be worth it, but other than that, I vote for warranty

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Warranty will keep the re sale value higher, thats the only reason im choosing that one, I also wont be keeping the sled for 4 years probly sell it after 2

I am going with the 4 year warranty.
Reasons: I plan to keep the sled atleast 2 years
I rarely look at my current gauge and only for RPM and temp usually.
Its always covered in snow
I'll probably break it first time I roll the sled over with my luck

RESALE
IMO a sled with a warranty is worth a lot more than a sled with a fancy gauge
Who knows how these sleds will hold up over time but that warranty is gold to me.

I am ordering a Pro RMK as I already have a MY 15 SKS style RMK with chaincase.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Riding 6,600 miles in 4 years and probably 3 warrantied top ends at $2,300 a piece, I would have to ask myself is the interactive display worth that much cash? Can you say Not A Chance!!!!!

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
Does anybody have pictures or video of the interactive gauge doing its thing? How does the GPS work? Is it like a basic Garmin or is it tailored for off-road/trail sled use? The gauge on the 2016 is the same one that was an add-on option last year, right?

Rob

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
4 year warranty is a no brainer in my opinion.The crate motor on my 11 fixed under 4 year warranty listed at $5500 plus labor.If you really want the interactive display it's shown at $700 on snowcheck build page.

As others have said 4 year warranty helps with resale value if you don't plan on keeping it that long.

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
We only looked at temp and RPM because that's all it previously showed lol.

I'm looking forward to the altimeter and hands free GPS. Still on the fence about trading warranty to get it though.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I would do the 4 year and if the gauge means that much to you add it as an option. I very rarely look at anything on my gauge other than temperature and RPM to make sure sled is running at peak. Just bought a brand new Garmin Montana 650T this year and love it mounted to my bars.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You do not need a battery or electric start for the display. You do need to give the gauge time to bootup (10-15 seconds to grab GPS signal) or you will not have your entire route (where you rode) saved. I think the gauge was super cool, but I'm on the fence for spending $700 on it. The text thing would be cool if you are trying to hookup with a buddy while riding but it just notifies you of an incoming text. You cannot read or reply from the cluster. It has a huge database of trails in it, but who really cares in the mountain segment. How often are we on trails? This would be a must have for the UP and East riders. The neatest part is how it drops electronic bread crumbs and tracks where you went for the day.

The 4 year warranty is a bumper to bumper warranty with a $50 per visit (not per item) deductible. I'm sure it won't cover wear items (belts, plugs, oil) after a certain point.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
You do not need a battery or electric start for the display. You do need to give the gauge time to bootup (10-15 seconds to grab GPS signal) or you will not have your entire route (where you rode) saved. I think the gauge was super cool, but I'm on the fence for spending $700 on it. The text thing would be cool if you are trying to hookup with a buddy while riding but it just notifies you of an incoming text. You cannot read or reply from the cluster. It has a huge database of trails in it, but who really cares in the mountain segment. How often are we on trails? This would be a must have for the UP and East riders. The neatest part is how it drops electronic bread crumbs and tracks where you went for the day.

The 4 year warranty is a bumper to bumper warranty with a $50 per visit (not per item) deductible. I'm sure it won't cover wear items (belts, plugs, oil) after a certain point.

I have a dealer that really knows how to submit warranty claims. He takes care of us no questions asked even on the 4 th year. I would not be with out it.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
If you are seriously thinking about the IDD gauge for a gps then think again. All it has for gps capability is trail routes with very little map details. If you were going to use it to replace your garmin or similar gps it won't happen. All you will get is coordinates with a blank background like the 1st gen gps'

The only reason I got mine was no DW even close by so got it for the error code readouts which are more detailed then mfd. But thankfully haven't had any codes yet.:face-icon-small-hap

It doesn't have playback feature also like the original mfd which I find was great for tuning rpm's. In order to have that feature on IDD gauge you must purchase another product :crazy: from them for $399cdn called Polaris Link.

EDIT- another incentive to get the warranty would be for the side panels. My paint started chipping off just by removing and putting side panels back on so I do not see the paint staying on in the trees. But the engine and sled will more then make you smile as I am very happy with my 15 switch to forgive the paint chips.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I asked a couple different dealers about the warranty. It's 4 year bumper to bumper. After the first year it is a $50 deductible per visit. I'll take the warranty. Especially with a first year sled with a new motor from a manufacturer that has Polaris' reputation in building engines lol

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Some of the RZRs that dealers may have in stock have the same gauge. It is pretty cool but I don't think that I need it. I will probably opt for the warranty or the $700 of accessories that I can use to get my shocks revalved, clutching done, etc. Anyway, you should be able to go play with the gauge a little bit if your dealer has one on an in stock RZR. I did that yesterday.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB

The price of he GPS is reasonably priced as far as I'm concearned. To get a Garmin with a similar size you need a Montana which retails for $747.99 Canadian from ski Doo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features