• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKS Vs Pro Weight? Electric Start?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The SKS listed on the site weighs 35lbs more than the Pro. These are stock for stock assuming your not changing the configuration at snow check.

I am trying to determine where the differences are. The obvious one is the front heat exchangers, chaincase, associated wheels on the rails.

But if you order the ProRmk with clicker shocks does that add some weight. Because the SKS comes standard with clickers.

Also, If I configure the SKS with the 2.6" track which I plan too how much weight does that shave off?

I think the SKS is better suited for my midwest deep snow boondocking because we occasionally have to take roads and trails to get to our honey holes but I am concerned I may feel the extra weight. I always add 4 wheels on the suspension anyway because of where I ride so that weight is a wash.

I really thought I wanted to have electric start this time around but if I am already at a 25-35lb disadvantage not sure. How much weight does electric start add?

Last edited:
S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I have a rmk le 60th from 15 with all the goodies the sks has and my buddy has stock 14 pro rmk and back to back I and him can't tell a difference other than how we each have our suspension set up. Only thing I did is I have one tooth less top gear and a skinz ultra q can but I cant and he can't tell any difference in the little added wieght with my e start/clickers/chaincase/bogies. Only difference I see is about 20-40 degrees cooler with no scratchers when going down beat down paths at 10 mph to get to areas

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
SKS spec is for the 5.1 track vs. 6, but it still doesn't make sense. The dry spec difference between a 14/15 Pro and RMK was 18 lbs, stated as 417 vs. 435, and that was also with steel tube shocks on the RMK, non-vented brake rotor, front cooler, chaincase, aluminum overstructure, steel bars, wheels, solid flap, aluminum rear bump, steel driveshaft, bar controls, and steel a-arms. No scratchers, no driveshaft collar.

On the snow, the front cooler was a push weight-wise, since you don't get the ice chunk in the front, but don't know if the Axys would be the same.

Maybe the SKS weight spec is wrong, or it includes e-start. There should be far fewer weight differences between the Pro and SKS now, not the much longer list I mentioned above. MH or Scott will likely be able to find out.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
If u took the boggies off it was only 9lb difference on the 15's. My guess the SKS vs pro would be similar. I'll be getting the SKS front cooler and chain case is worth the weight.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I think the total pro e-start weight was ~25 lbs, with ring gear on primary. You could cut that by about 11 lbs with a Li battery and aluminum battery box on the pro, but those are not free. FWIW.

SKS will sell well for UP and some CA riding and a trip or two west. Think poo is trying to define a new niche here that others are trying to cover with the Freeride, Backcountry, XF, and High Country. Poo tried with the Assault. First I've seen of the deep snow niche defined in 3 parts - mountains - powder/trail - airtime. Watch for this niche to expand.

SKS spec is for the 5.1 track vs. 6, but it still doesn't make sense. The dry spec difference between a 14/15 Pro and RMK was 18 lbs, stated as 417 vs. 435, and that was also with steel tube shocks on the RMK, non-vented brake rotor, front cooler, chaincase, aluminum overstructure, steel bars, wheels, solid flap, aluminum rear bump, steel driveshaft, bar controls, and steel a-arms. No scratchers, no driveshaft collar.

On the snow, the front cooler was a push weight-wise, since you don't get the ice chunk in the front, but don't know if the Axys would be the same.

Maybe the SKS weight spec is wrong, or it includes e-start. There should be far fewer weight differences between the Pro and SKS now, not the much longer list I mentioned above. MH or Scott will likely be able to find out.

I also have a 2015 60th LE RMK 800 Standard with Clickers low bars Estart Chaincase aluminum overstructure extra wheels front cooler. It is pretty much the same options as the new SKS. It to me was the perfect eastcoast backcountry sled (lots of stumps can jar the track and strip the QD belt). and we run roads to get to our riding spots sometimes and typically the pros will get to 180+ and my sled will stay under 140.

I only went with the estart and clickers last year because they were free.

If this was last year I would be buying the SKS but since I already have the sks in the proride chassis. I am going all out getting SC a Pro RMK in Voodoo Blue 2.6" low bars ultimate skidplate 4 year warranty. I have a golden ticket which makes my decision even easier. $13923 USD - 1000 golden ticket= 12923. I hope I can negotiate to below $12500 and sell my 15 for around 10 in the fall.

And of course the fact of just adding a can get me a "Sub400lbs" sled is sick.

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
maybe somebody else could comment,but my buddy said the shorttrack axys 800 was way easier to pull that his 600rmk,he said es wouldn't even be needed as it pulls so nicely

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
On the axys chat on Facebook, one of the replies from the Polaris engineers said that the SKS comes standard with electric start
But the specs on the website says "option/accessory" next to electric start
Edit: looks like they changed the specs on the website, ES standard

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I think another reason for a bit of the extra weight is the aluminum overstructure vs the carbon fibre one on the pro. But I can only see that accounting for a couple lbs at most. Either way, Im snowchecking an SKS. Its exactly what I want - good cooling for on the trail, upgraded shocks, 155" 2.6 track and the narrow pro front end. I think they did a great job with this and they should sell like crazy. Even if it is 35 or so lbs heavier than a pro, Im coming from a Nytro so it doesn't bother me one bit.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I remember reading that the SKS came standard with E start as well, would be nice to get some clarification on that.

Edit- This is the comment one of the engineers wrote on Axys chat the other night. This would explain the weight difference.
e600e5dc0b8397aae8dd020282b962ca.jpg

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I remember reading that the SKS came standard with E start as well, would be nice to get some clarification on that.

Edit- This is the comment one of the engineers wrote on Axys chat the other night. This would explain the weight difference.
e600e5dc0b8397aae8dd020282b962ca.jpg

Well I hope it does because that will take another $400 off the snowcheck price, correct? Or at least I hope they included it in the 35lb weight difference.

Where is Mountainhorse when you need him?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
My 14 was the first mt. sled I bought for me with e-start. Saw a buddy who bought a 2010 and convinced me to give it a shot. Any sled I've picked up for my wife and daughters have had e-start, as much for me, as for them (I don't need to help). I probably start my sled 20 times in a big day in the rubarb. Sometimes at very awkward positions on one ski. Combined with the pro chassis, don't get near as wore out when the sun is headed down as I used to before the pro, and less than my 11 pro with a rope. I did ride my first sled in 1968, so that should also say something about my old age, tho.

Last edited:
S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Well, that's silly, but I've been trying to figure out why it's so heavy. Personally I wouldn't want E-start.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I just went to the poo site and it says e start is std on the SKS in the specs. Which is great for me it saves $400. Buying this sled for my daughter.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
They just changed the spec sheet for the SKS today saying ES is standard, it was a error on their part saying it was optional earlier. So the base price and weight that you see includes ES.

A exhaust can will save you 13lbs, that will shave half that weight off right there.

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Also on the Polaris web site, it states in the Specs for the SKS that electric start is Standard.

Last edited:
Premium Features