• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

short track light weight version ?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
did anyone else think polaris might have a short track version ?
like a 146 800 399 lbs ?????
i'm not disappointed with the release but i thought they might do a factory
under 400 lb sled just to do it

i guess they left it to the aftermarket to get them under 400

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I thought they'd do it just to say they were the first TBH

That said, I don't see such a thing selling very well, so that's probably why it didn't happen.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I think they are saving the last bit of weight to be taken off in 2 years and then make a big deal of it just like they did with the 13. The other 3 didn't make any big weight reductions so why not keep that in their pocket for later use?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have heard rumors from well respected influential people in the Polaris camp that the R&D team has had a 340# dry weight sled on the snow for about 4-5 years now. I'm sure a lot of that technology will eventually make it into the production sleds. When is the biggest question. From a marketing stand point it makes sense to spoon feed it to us a little at a time. Since the other manufactures are not really even trying to compete, weight wise. There really is no current threat in that area.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I think they are saving the last bit of weight to be taken off in 2 years and then make a big deal of it just like they did with the 13. The other 3 didn't make any big weight reductions so why not keep that in their pocket for later use?

I agree and I also think the belt drive will be available on the 3 in models and a 37 in skis stance, and a 600 ho motor. 2017 maybe? 2018 probably?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Good points. If they let eveything outta the bag now, then everyone would buy now and nobody would be left to buy for the next 3-4 years... better to just let out a few options at a time, that way those o ya with big money will keep buying every year.

T

Toothguy

May 10, 2012
did anyone else think polaris might have a short track version ?
like a 146 800 399 lbs ?????
i'm not disappointed with the release but i thought they might do a factory
under 400 lb sled just to do it

i guess they left it to the aftermarket to get them under 400

I was hoping this was going to be the new Switchback Assault... Apparently not...I wish it would have got the AXYS update as well.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I agree they will do what they did with the pro 16 & 17 408 then 18 will be 399 just to make a big splash. They have a room full of marketing guys figuring out how to sell sleds. Got to give people a reason to upgrade.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
If anyone has actually been honest to themselves (no rounding up and actually scaling things) while trying to remove the last few lbs of a build, the Axys is pretty impressive.

In reality they took off about 15 to 19 lbs in one go (depending what the new suitcase really weights) while increasing lug to 2.6. Godda be lots and lots of little stuff to get to this on a Pro chassis.
I've been working on my '13 for 3 yrs (without going stupid weak or megabuck) and only got to 14 lb reduction to date.

I found it interesting, during the podcast, the silence from the Poo guys when talk went to weight loss or the new can.

I think the new can was a gift from Poo. Now all the Axys guys next season can join in the BS with the other brands.
" I can drop 20 lbs with just a can" lol. "I lost 40lbs with can pipe and headlight delete" lol.
They try so hard don't they.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
If anyone has actually been honest to themselves (no rounding up and actually scaling things) while trying to remove the last few lbs of a build, the Axys is pretty impressive.

In reality they took off about 15 to 19 lbs in one go (depending what the new suitcase really weights) while increasing lug to 2.6. Godda be lots and lots of little stuff to get to this on a Pro chassis.
I've been working on my '13 for 3 yrs (without going stupid weak or megabuck) and only got to 14 lb reduction to date.

I found it interesting, during the podcast, the silence from the Poo guys when talk went to weight loss or the new can.

I think the new can was a gift from Poo. Now all the Axys guys next season can join in the BS with the other brands.
" I can drop 20 lbs with just a can" lol. "I lost 40lbs with can pipe and headlight delete" lol.
They try so hard don't they.

Sounds like the engineers were disappointed in the can build to make federal sound standards. Like it was a real sore spot with them because I am sure their original design got them a sub 400lb dry sled.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'm hoping Diamond S makes a TI can for us!

If Diamond S makes a TI can For the AXYS RMK it would likely save 15-18 pounds, possibly even a full 20#'s if the stock one is (23'ish pounds (IIRC)).

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
SLPs current can saves 10 lbs at 88d
and their single pipe kit save 13 lbs and ads 9 HP no fuel controler needed :face-icon-small-hap
i hope that setup works on the 16s

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I made a few calls, I think I'll be chopping up that black tunnel with a Nextech carbon railed 146" and a 36" kit up front. Sticking with the QD, Evols or Raptors all around, a can, maybe throw in some carbon wheels/titanium replacements in the skid. I wish I could weigh it right now!

S
Dec 9, 2009
Polaris is running in a 5 year cycle with the performance trail sleds (last year) and mountain sleds (this year) so they have a couple segments (crossover, entry level, utility, etc) to work out the next 3 years. My guess is the crossover market will get the big attention in 2017 with something like:
-Get a new Axis 146 chassis that will be the base for the RMK, SKS and Assault versions. The Voyager and Indy but maybe incorporated or a year later.
-Drop the 144 and go to 146 for more track options (in a couple of years there will be no 2.52 drivers in the Poo lineup)
-Get an updated rear suspension
-Finally better running boards on the deeper snow versions
-Gone will be the wide panels, wide boards and rear fins that hurt it in deep snow.
-Adjustable width front end
-A new 600 could be intro'd in this segment and be across the board the next year.
-Sno Check options galore with track, seat, windshield, ski, etc options.
-What else am I missing???

OK, maybe I am just wishful thinking as my wife is getting a new rush for 16 and i will have a golden ticket in my hand to plop down to replace my 13 SBA 800 in 2017.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010

They try so hard don't they

Funny how in the other camps it's acceptable to drop weight off their favorite brand, add weight to the Poo, step back and say there really isn't that much of a difference. lol

J

joel t

Dec 6, 2013
Mi
I was hoping this was going to be the new Switchback Assault... Apparently not...I wish it would have got the AXYS update as well.

I was hoping also narraw front with better track options I have a 15 SBA and am waiting tell 17 and possible making a switch or going to the SKS

Premium Features