• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

From MCX Nytro to AXYS

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Id like to hear from some of you that used to ride a Turbo Nytro and made the switch to the Pro. Im coming off a 2010 Nytro with a 180 MCX kit that I can honestly say was quite a bit of fun. Pretty much turn key with zero issues. This was my first 4Stroke and turbo combo. I swore I would never go back to a 2 stroke after the first ride.

So now its been 2 years after the sale for the Nytro and Im looking to get back into the sport. Ive decided that Im going to either pick up a used MCX Nytro, or try something new like the AXYS 800.

Did you miss the power? This is one area that I really have to think about. I can say that every time I pulled the trottle I would smile from ear to ear. lol I have to wonder if I would really miss it.

Was the handling night and day to the Nytro? I always felt while on the throttle the Nytro felt very light and maneuverable. When getting technical, yes the weight did show. It never really did me in, but none the less it was there.

My riding style is mostly boondocking. But not in super tight technical areas. I usually avoid heavy treed areas unless thats the only way in. Love vast open meadows, ridge lines. Rolling hills, searching for more "hidden areas", getting lost following your buddy! ect....

So with that said, are you happy you made the switch? Regrets?

Thanks everyone....

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I had a 2009 Nytro with an MCX 240 kit and a 162" CE track. The power was very addicting, however I don't really miss it. I currently own two Pro 163"s because that's the only sled dealer within 150 miles. I have owned all the big four and was hesitant to go back to Polaris after an issue I had with my sons Pro X 440. However I decided I would give them one more try. I haven't been disappointed one bit. I have a 2012 and 2013 and have had ZERO issues with either one. They are so much easier to ride than the Nytro. Don't get me wrong, I love the torque of the fourstroke, but you can't beat light and nimble. The Pro goes every where I want to go and even a lot of places I shouldn't. The throttle response is super crisp and even after riding them a few years, they still put a smile on my face. I would imagine the AXYS will be even better. All four have awesome sleds on the snow this year and I would be happy to ride any one of them. But if you're serious about making the switch, you won't be disappointed. Best of luck in your decision.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Trust me, you won't miss the nytro. I went form an 08 mcx nytro to a 09 t m8 and then to a turboed 11 pro and it is just way more fun. I had a 153 nytro with a powerclaw and it was really unforgiving in the trees. Also at 15 pounds the nytro is a hanful in the trees. You could do a bunch of the same stuff but the front weight just wears on you. I couldn't roll mine over if stuck so I bought a jack. I finall found myself sitting around or skipping lines because I thought I might get stuck. That is when I said enough.Hill climbing was no fun anymore because you would just blow over everything so fast and then I was like, alright now what. To have a big hill climb like we used to you would have to have it on really sketchy stuff. The deeper and steeper it was the more fun and vise versa. I will guarantee you will have more fun on that stock axys than on the nytro. I would love to try the new viper. It will be 10 times the sled the nytro was but I am over the front heavy thing. I am sure they have masked that some but that is why they keep making videos of all the snow on the pro. It is to take peoples mind off that they are really heavy in this day and age. It is the front weight that really matters. As far as the reliability thing that they use, it is meaning less to me because I never keep a sled that long. I have never missed a day of riding since buying a pro. The only thing I miss about my nytro is the $60 belts that I got 1600 miles on. Go for it. You won't be sorry.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I had a 2011 Pro and then I bought a 2012 Nytro MTX with a 180 kit in 2012. I just wanted to try a turbo 4 stroke and I loved it. I upgraded the nytro to 240hp and sold the pro and I have been using it for two seasons now. Lets just say I cant wait to get back to a 2 stroke. The nytro is great on the long climbs but I like to play in the trees and it is way too much for me to throw around all day long. I miss the lightweight and the fact that I don't need a roll over valve when I flip the sled upside down. I will be snowchecking a new SKS because it has everything that I wanted on a new sled. The extra cooler and bogie wheels are great for me because I do a lot of trail riding.
I wont miss the extra power because I don't need it anyways for where I like to ride.

C
Nov 29, 2008
At sea level so I had nytro na and went to 13 pro 600 ....
Loved the yamaha motor but the nytro chassis was an absolute handful. thought about mod'ing it but added up the $$$$ for front end, shocks, skid, boards, tank, steering relocate, etc. and still to be uncertain if it would handle any better with no chance of recouping the $$ if it didn't so opted for holdover 13 pro and have been very happy.

FUN. Generally does what I want it to do other than when i'm not sure what I want to do .. not nearly so worried about stucks anymore and only used the shovel once since (have used the ax and bunjie a few times though).

If I was to look at new this coming season perhaps the new viper might give pause though. I'll likely be picking up a pair of 14 / 15 holdovers again as will likely be the best bang for the $.

K
Mar 10, 2010
Had a 2008 NA MTX and now a 2013 SBA 2 inch track.
Just my opinion, if you are a off trail rider, and are not needing the extra horse power that big climbs require a four stroke is not the ideal sled. I truly loved the Nytro engine. I loved the reliability and the durability of it.
However, the fun factor and confidence in how I can handle the Polaris will keep me riding a 2 stroke as long as I am mostly riding off trails.

Premium Features