• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM mods

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Okay guys picking up a 2015 XM 163 sp carryover this week. Pretty stoked to try a doo not going to lie. So need some guidance in the mods.

Track-have a 3" flex edge in the mail along with 7 tooth drivers

Shocks/Suspension-Going to need different shocks for sure, Raptors, Exits, Evol R/Toms E motion, or just Fox factory replacements. Whats your guy's opinions? I'm honestly leaning towards the raptors but not sure. Wasn't overly impressed with the airshocks on my PRO. Are powder wedges worth it?

Chassis-B&M front bumper for sure and possibly B&M rear bumper. GNR braces. Skid plate even worth it?

The diet-Mountain fit hood I'm thinking, can of some sort, if I go the E-motion way, that'll drop a few pounds there. What's your thoughts on SHR880? Heard its a pretty good kit. What's your guys opinions on venting and the TKI belt drive system?

Bars-going with NXT LVL bars and 2" risers, skinz post forward kit.

What are any weak points in the XM? Thinking running Semi-syn arctic blue oil or Amsoil intercepter. What's the part number for the gates belt for the xm? Heard good reviews on this. I'm 6'3" and 175 without gear. If you guys have any other opinions, let me know. I'll update with pictures.

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
fill it with oil and gas and ride the crap out of it, it needs nothing, if you like to jump huge then get the shocks you like, these machines are simple to use and the best part is you can enjoy them for 3 years with a solid warranty, don't get caught up in all the hype, there are a ton of riders making their xm's harder to ride and more work than it need's and more tinkering. Ride it and enjoy, have fun!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I agree...ride it as is. The 3" will work great, the powder wedges do not work properly with the 7t drivers. I would run Doo synthetic.
I'm not a fan of skid plates as they hold a lot of snow. IF you ride in marginal conditions or tend to hit things then a plate and braces are a good investment. Get the plate that is narrow and doesn't hold as much snow around the A-arms.
TKI drive works great, drops a few lbs.
Toms skid is what I have. I was never a fan of air shocks but the newer valving works very good. We tried a few high end shocks and for my riding style the Toms skid worked best. The others are all excellent, just different.
Like Dave said, great sled as it is, ride it first and see what YOU want to change.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for only a 174 and it will be for sale in a month if you are interested. Raptors are amazing on the trail but toms seems to have more transfer in the mountain, im in the process of changing shock settings to make that better. TKI has worked great all year, mtn fit hood I had to add venting to the bottom side to keep it from plugging up. B&M products have always been great very strong and look good as well. Ive got 500 miles on the stock belt with no signs of wear so I'd say they are good. Very happy with my sled just l like to build a new one every year

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
This is my first doo and I put the TKI and Raptor's on before riding it, but have been more than impressed with both of them it's alot of coin to buy both but I will have them on all my sleds from now on

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
Dj or rooster built clutch kit, hps or diamond s can, diamond s hood.

22-25lbs gone, hood is one giant vent, and there clutching is spot on. Ride it like you stole it!

Then shocks, cuz even the stock x shocks leave something to be desired... had Evo air on my 10 and it was much better than stock.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
This is my first doo and I put the TKI and Raptor's on before riding it, but have been more than impressed with both of them it's alot of coin to buy both but I will have them on all my sleds from now on

Yea I completely understand, but that's why I bought a sp knowing I would change the shocks and bars anyway.

When you did your mountain fit hood, what did you use for an intake?

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I have a 2015 summit x 154 with the following mods: dj clutch kit with ramps, grip n rip bracing, brp extreme skid plate (doesn't fill with snow), tki belt drive 2:42 gear, skidoo vent kit, shock tower and knee vents, brp light bar (very nice), different thermostat to help with power fade, adjustable riser, left hand throttle, HPS can, c3 post forward kit.

Out of all the mods I did, the post forward kit was the most noticeable. Greatly improves the feel of the sled. Money well spent. Besides this mod I did all the other mods from 0 miles and they've all worked great. My friend on the same sled except stock has noticed power fade so that thermostat is something I'd recommend also. The extra bracing is a good idea. The front fills with snow on these sleds and the brp vent kit prevents that. They block airflow from what I've heard so that's why I added extra venting. If I was to go with a big bore it would be the trygstad 872. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I've talked with Dave about doing one. Great to talk to, he will build it how you want and everything looks bone stock.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
So u ca pn use this in the e tec? Haven't heard of anyone doing this mod p to the e tec but makes sense.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
So u ca pn use this in the e tec? Haven't heard of anyone doing this mod p to the e tec but makes sense.

Yeah two different shops told me this is a must for the etec. They did side by side comparison and noticed the difference. The shop I bought mine from even dyno tested it. 370 miles with it installed on my etec. Works great, no leaks.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The '15 T3's are set up perty good so you might just want to copy the clutching and gearing from one. Not sure what is in there so 1 call will make it easier.

One exception is the secondary spring. Call SHR @ 612.718.3861 for what to run.

IMO clutch kits make you buy parts you do not need to change. Not saying they do not work, but why buy parts you do not need, or are much like the stock parts you already have?

I run re-valved doo shocks so I am no help there.

the SHR880 pulls hard, for a little less $ the SHR860 has been very popular as well this season with the T3.

A clutch tower brace is a must.

HPS or DynoPort for muffler.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
T3 ice scratchers. Avaliable from dealer or ski-doo website. Have been effective on my 174, even in poor snow, 640 miles so far.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Im running a 14x with a set up close to yours. Im running the standard 3 inch track with out flex edge. Ridding with a stock xm with flex edge same day back to back can't say i lost any not getting the flex edge, but gained more then i would have ever thought going to the 3 inch. Love my Mtn fit hood but I think ill be adding an extra vent or something for the intake because it tends to plug up at times. Running the carbon can to drop more weight no codes but a little on the loud side.

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
i'm running a 15 freeride 154 - racewerx bumpers, tki belt drive and tki rear bogeys, ice age bomber rails, 2 cool air vents, brp freeride adjustable riser, boyesen rage cage reeds with thicker peddles from boyesen, and an impulse turbo (previously silber v-band self lube set up). Below is what i ran in reference to what you mentioned above.

vents - www.2coolairvents.com
they don't show the vents on their site but they look really nice and they're really well built, just don't drill too many holes for the venting. youtube 'ski doo xm time lapse' and watch the video, there's only one, he puts the 2 cool's on that sled and they are pretty trick

tki - i put the tki belt drive on before i rode it so i don't know the difference it made, the thing i love is i called him the other day to get a different gear, he sent me the new one and all i had to do was pay shipping and send the old one back. Tom is really easy to work with and builds a quality product.

racewerx bumpers - i literally bumped a tree, i saw it coming with nowhere to go and all i could do was grab a handful of brake and it taco'd my stock bumper. i already had the racewerx ordered at that time so i put them on as soon as they came in, they're a little bigger than most but they can take a hit and protect the bulkhead too. I'm super impressed with the front and rear racewerx.

for scratchers i installed the ski doo rail mount reversible ones, they work well, they don't mess up your rails, and they don't mount on the back like the other ski doo ones and make your sled look like a haybine. only issue i had with them is i rode around doing some testing on the lake by my house and there was a lot of hard pack and i snapped one off shortly after i put them on, once i replaced it i haven't had an issue since.

Premium Features