• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just got my new SPOT!! (satellite locator)

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Well, because we ride all backwoods with no cell service and I had a buddy that didn't make it off the mountain last year, I bought one of these new Satellite Personal Trackers that just came out for $149! Their is a $99 annual fee that goes along with it. Basically it has 4 buttons 1. Power on/off, 2. I'm OK, 3. Help and 4. 911! You can send messages to family and friends via email or text-messaging saying you are ok or you can send messages telling them you need non-emergency help ASAP. If you hit the 911 button it sends your signal to Houston, Tx. and they send Search and Rescue out from your area. Well worth the peace-of-mind! if anyone is interested the website is:

www.findmespot.com

explorespot_spot.jpg

Check it out.

Last edited:
D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
Can you send messages at will just to say all is well? Do you get charged for that or is it included with year subscription?

That is a great tool. I know I could have used it atleast once...and thats enough to convince me to buy.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Please let us know how well it works,especially the tracking on google earth. This will make being found so much easier.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
This looks like an added bonus to a product that will save lives:

GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit
$7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards)
Provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits – underwritten by Lloyd’s of London – for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar

D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
Well, because we ride all backwoods with no cell service and I had a buddy that didn't make it off the mountain last year, I bought one of these new Satellite Personal Trackers that just came out for $149! Their is a $99 annual fee that goes along with it. Basically it has 4 buttons 1. Power on/off, 2. I'm OK, 3. Help and 4. 911! You can send messages to family and friends via email or text-messaging saying you are ok or you can send messages telling them you need non-emergency help ASAP. If you hit the 911 button it sends your signal to Houston, Tx. and they send Search and Rescue out from your area. Well worth the peace-of-mind! if anyone is interested the website is:

www.findmespot.com

Check it out.

You should post this in general snowmobiling as well.:)

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Trust me, I am a techy freak! I tested it and retested it right out of the box! When you first get it, you have to activate it which requires the $99 fee for the year. You then set up your emergency numbers and so on. I sent a regular message and a help message to my wife and it went through within like 30 second. The first message was telling her I was ok and everything was fine, and the second message told her I needed non-emergency help ASAP. Along with the text to her phone was my GPS coordinates. Really, really cool! Worked perfect. I wasn't brave enough to push the 911 button! I also got the $7.95/year $100,000 personal search and rescue insurance. The reason my buddy didn't make it off the mountain last year was because of weather prohibited search and rescue for two days. With the $100,000 insurance, my family can hire teams to look for me and not worry about all the politics of bad weather and local authorities deciding on my life! I also opted for the $49 "unlimited" tracking for the first year for my own personal reasons of being able to come back home and see exactly where we were all day long for mapping reasons. My wife can also look on the internet at anytime and see exactly where I am at on the mountain (be sure to shut it off anywhere else!) on Google Earth. I think for the money it is the best peace of mind a person can have. They work pretty much anywhere in the world and have like a 99.6% success rate! Can't beat that! Along with any messages sent back to town is your exact coordinates to within like 9 feet!! Call for help and stay put! Totally waterproof for 30 minutes in 3 feet of water! Very good construction! Not cheesy at all.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I am waiting for mine to arrive. Hopefully this week.
Wish I would have known it was available on SW. I would prefer to buy from people here.
I did notice that the GEOS coverage looks like it's only available if you're a resident of the US. That's the way it's worded on the GEOS site. I'll phone them before I activate mine just to check though.

Any testing in the mountains? Open areas vs. trees or gullies and stuff?

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
Just being the devil's advocate - could this also be used as a "big brother" tool to track your movements?

Need one to put in your wifes purse, huh;)

Kidding aside, this looks like a great investment.... i will be looking into one... Thanks for the link.... As stated earlier, I would also put this in the general section....

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
I think this is what I've been looking for - for some time. As mentioned above, the SAT phones/service are prohibitively expensive

S
Nov 27, 2007
These units are the goods!!! There will be one under my Christmas tree.

The tracking function is easy to use and keeps the "family" updated as to your where abouts.

If you don't want a full year of service(i.e. I only ride sleds in the snow and surf a "desk" the rest of the year) you can go month to month at $9.99/mo.

I am working on doing a group buy for the Spot devices here on Snowest. PM me for details!

Premium Features