• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Challenger Lite Track Mods?

SpeedWobble

Premium Member
Jul 11, 2001
North Central Washington
I have seen that some people are trimming the reinforcements on the paddles of the Challenger Lite tracks to make the paddles more flexible. What seems to work the best when cutting down the reinforcements?

Also, I heard rumour that a certain dealer (Felker's ?) is drilling holes in the paddles. If this is true, does anyone have a picture or a good description of how and where they are putting the holes?

I'm being a tighta**, and don't want to spend $650.00 + to get a better track for my '07 Summit X 159".

Thanks

SpeedWobble

N
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Lake
I haven't heard of Felker doing that, though a joke a while ago use to be that they would punch holes under the clutch. Do not know how much of that is true, but funny there is another rumor of them punching holes in something else. Not knocking Felker, have done business with them in the past and would do business in the future with them.

Back to the topic. I heard after a few hundred miles on trails the lugs "seem" to "soften" up a little bit. I compared the lugs on my challenger lite to my dad's 07 adrenaline track (powder maxx??) and they seem very similar in stiffness.

A
Nov 29, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Mine has 600 miles on it (in for warranty work too much last year) and a friends has 1300 miles on his. After loading both on the trailer recently we felt the lugs and his were noticeably softer. So I suppose time will help, but I'm seriously thinking of slicing away some of the paddle support material so they can flex easier, but I've hear from other blogs about splitting, cracking and throwing off chunks and concerned dooing this may speed the disease.

Sooooo, whooo has trimmed these, and what were the results? As much complaining I've heard about these someone must have some imput? Chime in!

C-Bolt, how has your turned out?

Jeff

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
mine has held up good since i sliced down the support ribs...i guess. when i did slice them, every single paddle already had a tear of some sort in it. it does work ok, but today i still got himarked by stewart big time on his 07. he has the powdermax track... i just couldnt keep mine from trenching...

oh well, ill have to pony up sometime and buy the regular challenger....

Joe

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
just finished this tonight--went and cut the track on the old moddy with a real tire hotknife--just put on the cutter and turn it on--just push through the paddle and slices a nice pattern just like a Old camo 9808 2" track has on the ends--softened it up just about right in my opinion--we will know on the hill next weekend. Will try annd get pictures on monday of the track to post.

H20SKE...

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Spoke with Turbo Al today. Seems they are dropping the rear skid 1 inch on the rear bracket and this is apparently making this track work better. Something about how they raised the front end by 1 inch thus messing with the attack angle and by dropping rear bracket 1 inch you regain the attack angle and presto.

I wasnt completely following what he was saying but this appears to be the fix?

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Will it make up this much of a difference with the AOA change?

This is an unnamed rider with an 07 XRS and a challenger lite, but my mark up top with my 07 X and the Powdermax 151x16x2.3

The powdermax simply outperforms the challenger lite. Too bad the general public was the R and R on this issue like many others.

cantwell072.jpg

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
i am the "un-named rider" ha ha ha thanks stewart

i have my front limiter sucked up as far as i can get it, and my front shock spring as loose as it will go, i also have my rear spring on the stiffest setting. as stated earlier, i have also trimmed the support ribs down.

i am now running a tra3 that will hold rpms all day long (dj's kit)
i have 19/45 gearing, stock can and tons of venting.
i was still hymarked by a these sleds..

07 800r 151 w/ powdermax track------akrev151
04 800ho w/ 144 x 2 camo oe track----jjd2
04-05 800 polaris rmk 159--------------race
turbo vector mtn-------------------------turbotim
06 summit 800 151-----------------------turbotims dad

my skiis were so high in the air i could hardly keep her pointed straight up hill....(they said i looked cool though...ha ha ha)

this track does not get up on top of the snow, it just digs trenches.

my clutch on clicker 6 was holding 8400 rpm on the tach everywhere i went, for once. im going to drop 3 grams of weight and try clicker 4 to get 8300 on the tach.

i had extra gas on the tunnel, as we all did, and extra tools back there also, but there is no reason i shouldnt be able to keep the skiis closer to the ground. mabye ill cary gas and tools on the front bumper....

i just cant quite afford a pmax track right now, so i guess ill have to deal with it.

oh well, i guess i still look cool!

IMG_6729.jpg

R
My Challenger Lite is just going BYE BYE...new Challenger 162" is on the way as I type...I went with the 9979 from Tracks USA, lightweight PACE 2, ported version. Give Bruce a call, 2nd track I've purchased from him and has always been real informative and helpful; good guy to deal with IMO. I'm gonna put the "Trencher" on a Deere 650...where it belongs!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Spicer, MN
jeez, these post are making me worry bigtime! One thing I will say is that a buddy I ride with had the Challenger lite on his 07 X last year and didn't seem to have a problem highmarking any of us. Granted he is a good ridier but still. Not that it matters cuz I can't afford the powdermax anyways. I guess I can always just look cool with my skis straight up in the air! so Is it worth trimming the support ribs or no?

R
jeez, these post are making me worry bigtime! One thing I will say is that a buddy I ride with had the Challenger lite on his 07 X last year and didn't seem to have a problem highmarking any of us. Granted he is a good ridier but still. Not that it matters cuz I can't afford the powdermax anyways. I guess I can always just look cool with my skis straight up in the air! so Is it worth trimming the support ribs or no?

My only concern about modifying the C-Lite is if it delaminates or starts tearing lugs off, as some on this 4M have experienced, you will have no grounds to get your dealer to warranty it through BRP....you modified it and now you're screwed.

As for your buddy highmarking....what were the snow conditions? If the snow was set-up, the C-Lite does alright...if it's not and the base layer is deeper than a couple feet, you're trenching until your boards bury! I personally tested this last year with a guy running a 159" Challenger on his Adrenaline...ran at the exact same stretch of vertical, turned out at comparable heights on the vertical face, then swapped sleds and did it again to take out the "rider skill" factor...bottom line; C-Lite trench was frickin' 4' deep...Challenger was 1.5' deep at the apex of it's turnout. Also, we both HAD to turnout on my sled....the Adrenaline could've kept going vertical but we turned out for testing equality...pretty discouraging when you're the guy who owns the XRS equipped with the tank track!

BTW....are we talking about MN riding conditions? Or were you out west? The pic shows what testing conditions I'm talking about...view from the top of Mt. Baker.

Eric trudges to the summit of Baker.jpg

Last edited:
R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
two different compounds

I also have a challenger lite and I've been through this same issue. I have found that there are two different challenger lite tracks. I came accross several challenger lites all in one place that had been taken off new sleds. Some had paddles that were as stiff as ABS plastic and others were just a little stiffer than the original camo challenger. I am wondering if this is why some guys hate this track and they have the ultra stiff and others think it is okay and they have the softer version. These were new tracks and had not been broken in and there was amazing differences between the soft and stiff ones. Has anyone else heard / seen of this???

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
I have an 06 with the pm track and the lugs feel about the same as my 07 lite track. As far as the hardness of the material.

The 07 lugs have started to bend over rather nicely. It still trenches deeper than the 06 track.

It's fun to watch people drop into your mark, and try to regain control.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Spicer, MN
I have an 06 with the pm track and the lugs feel about the same as my 07 lite track. As far as the hardness of the material.

The 07 lugs have started to bend over rather nicely. It still trenches deeper than the 06 track.

It's fun to watch people drop into your mark, and try to regain control.

LOL, so basically if I just take a bunch of runs and turn out and cut a sidehill across the whole hill a few times, maybe my buddies will just get stuck in my trenches!

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Lets see some pics of this moding/cutting of track.

The chances that they will warranty the track is pretty rare unless it explodes.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Sorry guys:eek:---I forgot the camera and the sled is at a freinds shop(wildman) and still not done--Need extensions or a big wheel kit to fit the 159 from a 156:mad:. Soon--I promise.

H20SKE...

Premium Features