• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo 2 stroke VS. Turbo 4 Stroke

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
Hey guys and gals, I am running a turbo M7, just curious to people's thoughts on what is going to get the job done more effectivaly. 4stroke or 2 stroke. I have ridden both and think the with the weight of the m7 I should not have any issues running with an apex turbo.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Depends on what level of boost you are going. Look at what some of the riders that have access to either sled are riding. Brad Story still rides his Tapex. Just food for thought.

Sam

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
I.M.O.

Thunderstruck 6 has a great mix of Turbo 4's and Turbo 2's. Both are impressive!!!

Turbo 2 Strokes are impressive BUT the 4 Stroke's have more Power/Track Speed when Both are on Race Gas and Max Boost.....

Apples to Oranges.... Good Bait but I'll swim by it for now and end Here

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I.M.O.

Thunderstruck 6 has a great mix of Turbo 4's and Turbo 2's. Both are impressive!!!

Turbo 2 Strokes are impressive BUT the 4 Stroke's have more Power/Track Speed when Both are on Race Gas and Max Boost.....

Apples to Oranges.... Good Bait but I'll swim by it for now and end Here

Couldnt of said it beter myself.

Hey guys and gals, I am running a turbo M7, just curious to people's thoughts on what is going to get the job done more effectivaly. 4stroke or 2 stroke. I have ridden both and think the with the weight of the m7 I should not have any issues running with an apex turbo.

---------
Have you REALLY ridden a 4 stroke turbo? Doesnt sound like it? You cant "compare" in my opinion. To me its based on preference. What "job" are you trying to get done? Really, what are your concerns?

Overall speed? Tooling around? Jumping? Digging them out?

I lined my lil 6 up at the BDSO and it did suprisingly well. Top end speed hurt overall, but with all the track spin of the big 4s I was able to get a jump on them. As far as "general all terrain ridability" its going to depend on ability. Jumping? I havent seen any record attempts on an apex. Digging them out? no contest.

For me, I prefer the snappy wilder hit of the 2sT. I wanted a sled that would "give me the giggles", not be able to "take down an apex". 4sTs are sneaky fast and smooth like butter and maybe a bit "monsterous" to be fun and flickable for me.

I dont think you are going to have any problems having fun on the hill against an Apex. It will just make the bar talk much more exciting and interesting.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
Thanks for all the input guys. owned rx1 turbo, sucks sh%T. rode apex turbo, handled good, great power, couldn't pay me to ride one day to day. can't jump em or do drops, they are like a lawn dart. Can't do ski runs with the thing down steep off camber down hills. Good for one thing only, going fast in a straight line. I have liguiment damage to my smile from riding the 2 stroke turbo, I have 6 days on it and it is not completly dialed in yet, but I am 100% sure 2 stroke will pave the road for turbo sledding, ride with a guy with the M1000 on boost and at 18lbs boost turned 408hp, weighs 475lbs. Who in there right mind could claim that they could ever touch that with an apex. I don't think there is such thing as an apex under 500lbs (could be wrong though). Have never seen an outstanding rider on an apex turbo yet!!! other than on the videos. When I say outstanding, I don't mean just a guy who climbs really fast to the top. hopefully a dude by the handle megaton will see this thread and get in on it. he has a ton of money into his apex, light weighted 80lbs, big boost and he is beginning to regret not doing what the rest of us did, 2 stroke turbo. food for thought.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
HAHA, good thread for some giggles. And how long with this m10 last at 18lbs of boost. Just curious, i havent heard and longevity reports but i know other 2 strokes have short life spans at that high of boost levels.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Thanks for all the input guys. owned rx1 turbo, sucks sh%T. rode apex turbo, handled good, great power, couldn't pay me to ride one day to day. can't jump em or do drops, they are like a lawn dart. Can't do ski runs with the thing down steep off camber down hills. Good for one thing only, going fast in a straight line. I have liguiment damage to my smile from riding the 2 stroke turbo, I have 6 days on it and it is not completly dialed in yet, but I am 100% sure 2 stroke will pave the road for turbo sledding, ride with a guy with the M1000 on boost and at 18lbs boost turned 408hp, weighs 475lbs. Who in there right mind could claim that they could ever touch that with an apex. I don't think there is such thing as an apex under 500lbs (could be wrong though). Have never seen an outstanding rider on an apex turbo yet!!! other than on the videos. When I say outstanding, I don't mean just a guy who climbs really fast to the top. hopefully a dude by the handle megaton will see this thread and get in on it. he has a ton of money into his apex, light weighted 80lbs, big boost and he is beginning to regret not doing what the rest of us did, 2 stroke turbo. food for thought.

YAWN!!!:rolleyes:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
18 lbs on a 2 stroke? tic toc tic toc tic toc I'll keep my heavy old Apex thanks. And if you think a turbo Apex is only for straight up, you haven't seen guys that can ride!!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Elkhorn Nebraska
That M1000 probably only ran for a day or two then started smokin!!! Can't handle the power. Hell if someone wanted to they could make 500 maybe even 600hp on an apex with a single 30series at some serious boost levels and built motor with nos and a meth injection kit. Two smoke turbos are point and shoot and 4strokes you can go in and out of the throttle all day long!!! The smooth powerband and reliablility of the 4stroke turbo is unbeatable!!!

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I say get both then decide. I have a BD TM7 and am building a T Nytro right now. I will ride them both this year and sell the one I like least. 4 4troke reliability is the primary reason I went this way

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
This is funny. Turbo 2 strokes are not knew. The UT boy's been riding them for years. Seeing them is what sold me on boost.

After getting boost in 04, I ran a Poo 800 turbo against my old SC RX-1. We ran three times and all three he took me by a couple sled lengths up what they call Double Hill. He was running 12 pounds against my 10.

Note: These guys were not ur average joe. They were tunning on the mountain. So if you have the knowledge you can keep it running.

The main reason 2 stroke turbos are not the sled of choice (yet anyway), is reliability. It don't matter what mods you do to a 2 stroke, when you get to huge hp, its a gamble on how long it will last til its towed out. Some have better luck than others. That's just how it is. My old 2 strokes ran thousands of miles without trouble, but they didn't have 240 hp.

The go fast in a strait line comment is crap too. Maybe you just don't know how to handle a sled. Try countersteering next time ;).

Where is the Roto..That will be the next big inovation..

Last edited:
D
Nov 30, 2007
BC
i ride a 03 trx1 and i just built a tm7 they are both fast but the m is ridable all day the rx1 well half day . the m7 is no rx1 when it comes to power but it doesn't run the boost either. the rx1 doesn't handle even close to the m but they both are lots of fun . i'll know more once i get out some more.

Premium Features