• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07' M-Series Handlebar Grips and Warmers

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
I'm looking for some ideas on tweaking my Grips and Warmers on my sled. How many of you guys froze your hands off last year? I remember riding back to the truck at dusk. Temperature was -5 degrees F. I was riding my stock 07 M1 and had the thumb and hand warmers on Hi. For gloves I was wearing the Klim Klimate Gortex Gloves. My hands were dry and I don't remember my hands ever being so cold. On the way to the truck I traded my buddy sleds and rode his 800 RMK. His handwarmers were night and day hotter than mine. He often complains that his hands sweat when he leaves them on too long on Hi. What gives, did I get a lemon set of warmers or did any of you guys notice weak handwarmers?

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
JR Graham has some "Polly Handlebar Heaters" "Cartridge Type Heaters" "Unit draw 28 watts (2.4 amps) on low, and 56 watts (4.8 amps). Pg.190. This is the highest output heaters I've found so far.

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
I have heard of people spraying spray foam in the bars to help insulate them. It makes sense to me and could be a cheap fix. Im going to try this on mine.:)

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I noticed the same problem when I got rid of my stock windshield and went with a lower style. I know my grips are getting hot, because I have had them start to pull off the bars. You might try different gloves or a flared windshield.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
grips

mine run lukewarm, have since new, foam in the bars did not make enough difference....not looking forward to another season of cold hands, problem is the bars have the bend at the end....which aftermarket grips will slide over it?

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
A friend of mine tried the Moose under grip (3M adhesive backed circuit board looking thingy) and were noticeably warmer than OEM Mickey Mouse wraparound elements.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Of the last 4 cats I've had, none of them had handwarmers worth a crap in my opinion. I do run handguards, which helps keep the wind off the hands without a big goofy lookin windshield.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Lets face it .. AC handwarmers are crap. Went from an RMK that my son still rides, and they'll burn your skin off on high. My 07 M8 grips barely get warm, and the left one cuts out at times. Dealer say that's just the way it is with AC, and no warrenty fix.

Amazing that a company headquartered in Minnysota can't put a decent handwarmer on a mountain sled .. shurly they're trail/touring sleds have better?

Last edited:
H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Over the years I have found this out as well. Blows my mind they can not produce a decent hand warmer. Can a guy simply wire in Polaris handwarmers?? They always seam to work very well.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
grips

the question is are the AC grips not that hot because of the grip element or the amount of current flowing thru them...seeing as these things will burn up an ecu if ya disconnect enough electronic stuff, they are kinda touchy....I was gonna put some yammie nytro grips and elements on it, same style bars, until I found that they were $129, I emailed moose and will most likely try theirs after I talk to em.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
Great thread you posted. Looks like I'll be trying some foam first. I'll have to agree that that foam stuff is nasty messy. I 've used it in the past around the house. I would highly recommend latex gloves and overly protect the surrounding area your using it. It stayed on my hands for atleast a week. I even tryed laquer thinner and it didn't want to come off. By the sound of people who have done the foam it should get me through them really cold spells.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Brake cleaner works well for clean up. I was even able to clean out the little nozzle from the Great Stuff, and be able to reuse what was left over at another time. :) I had heard it was bad, so I did wipe with a damp cloth (just water) over the areas I used brake cleaner after I was done, just in case.

Premium Features