• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are MTI trailers worth a S**T

N

nickPSD

Jan 27, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
We have a 28' V nose sled/car trailer. We have had it for about 5 years, use it for both sleds and hauling classic cars in the summer. I'm pretty sure the frame is steel with the sides and ceilings being aluminum. We also have a 28' H&H V nose that is a 2002 model. So I have pulled the trailers back to back several times, spend the money and buy a different brand, there is a night and day difference pulling the trailers. The MTI doesn't seem as "well built". There are screws missing on the exterior, we have had to reweld the frame in a couple spots. Nothing huge, but just seems like its not as well built as it could be. JMHO :face-icon-small-sho

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Had a 7x 27 for 4 years that I just sold this past spring. It was a steel frame and was a bit on the heavy side at 3200 lbs, but overall it was a decent trailer. It pulled nice and straight at freeway speeds and never gave me any problems after multiple trips from mn to Montana. If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I sold mine for around $5k.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
we have had to reweld the frame in a couple spots. Nothing huge JMHO :face-icon-small-sho

Yea, just had to reweld the frame in a couple of spots. Nothing huge. Coulda killed somebody when it broke, but nothin' huge.

Alrighty then.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Yea, just had to reweld the frame in a couple of spots. Nothing huge. Coulda killed somebody when it broke, but nothin' huge.

Alrighty then.

True dat.

We had the couple/tongue break on a US Cargo yesterday.
Luckily we had to stop for fuel & noticed it barely hanging by under 2" of steel that had not torn away yet.
One more nasty bump & I am sure we would have tested the safety chains.

Chit happens.

N

nickPSD

Jan 27, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD

Alrighty then.

It could have gotten bad, but it was caught right away. It wasn't on the tounge of the trailer, a cross beam towards the rear of the trailer.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I have a MTI 7x7 all aluminum with about 10000 miles on it. Trailer is 4 years old. It's been a pretty good trailer. I bought it unfinished on the interior and I'm glad I did. There were a few welds that needed some fixup and I could see them quite easily. For the price I paid for the trailer, there's no way I could have gotten anything else up here for the price. It pulls quite nice and tracks straight.

You can tell that some of the exterior screws are very cheap. I'm missing a few heads on some of them.

Last year I broke a leaf pack at about 1am while heading home solo. That was a pretty ugly experience I won't forget from here on out...only Torflex for this guy next time around. In MTI's defense, it wasn't anything to do with them...axle assembiles were made by Dexter and the way the leaf broke, I'm assuming it was self imposed damage as it didn't seem like a fatigue failure.

If you do have issues, MTI is very hard to get ahold of. When I had a few welds that needed to be touched up, I did it myself, but I thought I should make it known. Couldn't get them to reply.

Overall, happy with trailer. There's better out there, but at more money. Fit and finish and wiring wasn't perfect, but it's a trailer and keeps everything dry inside. I'm not sure spending more in my case would make me a whole lot happier.

P1013345.jpg P1013360.jpg

Premium Features