• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed trailer floor paint

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Anyone ever use the rustoleum 10X or gatorgrip paint on the floor of their enclosed trailer? If so how did it hold up? Looking for a cheap alternative for a floor coating to protect the wood.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
If you are looking for cheap then pick the paint you like and mix some sand in it. That's all the paint companies do but they call it " gator grip" and gator gouge you.

You might want to experiment with different sand sizes. I did this many years ago but I can't recall the paint or sand type.

D

dclancey

Dec 21, 2008
Mead, CO
I went to Home Depot and bought Acrylic Enamel garage floor paint. It also comes with a non skid additive that is nothing more than silica sand. Paint on your first coat, then add the sand to your second coat. One gallon did my new ATC trailer.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
After a lot of research and expense(bought some deck pain I decided not to use), I went with oil based enamel paint, semi-gloss, couldn't be happier thus far.

It is very hard once cured, and although carbides will eventually chew it up, A couple times I missed the ski glides it just moderately scraped up the paint. I was impressed.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies, that is exactly what I was kind of wondering on the use of a deck paint. I am a little scared to put down the stuff like gator grip and then have it start peeling.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Thanks for the replies, that is exactly what I was kind of wondering on the use of a deck paint. I am a little scared to put down the stuff like gator grip and then have it start peeling.

My deck was raw wood that had years of oil and gas on it. I spent 1/2 a day and 3 gallons of concentrate degresser, and a horse brush to get it really cleaned, I was surprised.

PREP is everything, no matter what you use.

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
DIY trailer floor cover

craigslist is king. Found anti-fatigue mats and also industrial rubber floor mats. 3/8" thick. very durable used for cheap! $10 for two that were 3'x4'. Also you will find items like workout mats (the kind that piece together) for wrestling/boxing areas. These will last a few seasons easily. Then for the ski guides if you want them use galvanized wall studs. Yes, from Home Depot $4 for a 8' one. Mine have lasted two seasons on non covered trailer with no rust.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
My company installs industrial floor coating. I would use a water based epoxy. Sherwin William's Tile Clad WB is a good product that we have used in quite a few trailers, for non slip add Shark Grip. A $10.00 bottle will do your whole trailer.
The water based has better abrasion resistance than the solvent based counter part.
The Shark grip is very fine and will lay down in the coating, if you use sand it will just stick to the top of the coating and tear of because the coating is a thin mil and will not encapsulate the sand. Just my two cents.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
The trailer does have some paint on the floor already, will the Sherwin Williams or deck restore adhere to the existing paint wwithout much problem? How long have you had the deck restore down?

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
The trailer does have some paint on the floor already, will the Sherwin Williams or deck restore adhere to the existing paint wwithout much problem? How long have you had the deck restore down?

I would sand the floor before you recoat it, than solvent wipe it down.

Premium Features