• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wiring in heated shield

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Dig into the Velcro bag at the top of the steering overstructure. Find a plug that looks like the attached. Probably yellow and brown wires. This is 12VAC for a heated shield.

shield_plug.jpg

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
helmet visor plug in

Polaris makes a RCA Plug Kit (p/n 2878780). It plugs directly into the sled's wiring connector mentioned above. I just installed one on my 2012 800 RMK. Mounted the plug on the left side dash panel. The plug socket has a tethered rubber cover to cap the socket when not being used.

S
Dec 22, 2012
Rosthern, SK
Tuneman
"Dig into the Velcro bag at the top of the steering overstructure. Find a plug that looks like the attached. Probably yellow and brown wires. This is 12VAC for a heated shield."
When you said 12VAC did you mean 12VDC.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you simply want AC (alternating) current to power the visor... Which is fine for a visor.

This kit will Plug/Play for you. Drill a Small hole in the console to permanently mount the socket.

Nice and long 32" wire on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261709482893

You can plug it into the AC connector with the yellow Wires.

I strongly recommend against drawing from the "DC PWR" with the Red wire that has the same looking connector in the bundle.

Polaris makes one, PN 2411708 that also plugs right in.. you need to drill a small hole in your dash.
$23 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190858215721

Others may have this for less.... but consider shipping costs in the price as well.

The DC ACC rubber plug will also power visors and what it was intended for in the first place. It has a 2amp fused capacity...DO NOT increase the fuse size.

NAPA plug $3.00, CLICK HERE... You can get an RCA plug for the dashboard (most visors have an RCA plug) for this at any Radio Shack.

S
Dec 22, 2012
Rosthern, SK
I want to have power for my Montana 650 GPS.
I do not have electric start on my 2013 RMK 600, what is the safest way to get 12 volt power for it.
Should I start a new thread rather then to hijack this one?
Stan

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
That is a low draw... You can wire that into the fused circuit "DC ACC" that has the rubber plug near the headlight... Just don't put more than the factory 2 amp fuse in there.
Nice clean DC power on that circuit... but NEVER exceed the 2amp fuse size and NEVER run a motor load from it (fan/pump etc)

You should be able to make up a a plug/play cord that will stay on the sled without the need for a socket or complicated cable.

What does that have for a connector for power input to the GPS?

Last edited:
S
Dec 22, 2012
Rosthern, SK
MH,
Thanks for your response.
I believe it is a mini usb port. Garmin has a pigtail with a fuse in it just for this kind of application.
After I posted on this thread I saw another active thread that deals with 12 volt power for a GPS.
Stan

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Just get that Garmin pigtail cord you talked about.....

Buy one of these (From NAPA or other) wire them together (I like solder and adhesive lined heat-shrink-tube) and run it... Waterproof heat shrink butt connectors work well too.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Pole-Flat-Connector/_/R-BK_7551598_0006398221

Plug it into the "DC ACC" plug by the headlights (you'll need to take off the hood probably)... Route the wire.. and there you go... simple.

That "DC ACC" plug is perfect for this low-load application.

S
Dec 12, 2023
Indiana
If you simply want AC (alternating) current to power the visor... Which is fine for a visor.

This kit will Plug/Play for you. Drill a Small hole in the console to permanently mount the socket.

Nice and long 32" wire on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261709482893

You can plug it into the AC connector with the yellow Wires.

I strongly recommend against drawing from the "DC PWR" with the Red wire that has the same looking connector in the bundle.

Polaris makes one, PN 2411708 that also plugs right in.. you need to drill a small hole in your dash.
$23 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190858215721

Others may have this for less.... but consider shipping costs in the price as well.

The DC ACC rubber plug will also power visors and what it was intended for in the first place. It has a 2amp fused capacity...DO NOT increase the fuse size.

NAPA plug $3.00, CLICK HERE... You can get an RCA plug for the dashboard (most visors have an RCA plug) for this at any Radio Shack.

How many amps could you potentially draw off the ac power. Was going to tap into this for a second set of handwarmers on passenger bars. Would prbly put a 3amp or 4amp fuse on it. Hand warmers prbly not drawing more than 3 amps.

Premium Features