• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Concept Front End is the real deal

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So I never rode my 14 last year with the stock a-arms and spindles. Had BDX front end on it all year. While I still like the BDX front end, I thought I'd try out the Skinz Concept front end on my 15.

It's really a game changer in steep sidehills and downhill pow turns. The stock front end spindles are just set too far back. While in most riding aspects you don't notice any short comings with it, you do if you get it on a steep sidehill or steep downhill pow turns. The stock front end will grab more, which on steep sidehills can wash the rear of the track out and make the sled try to climb back uphill. This is from how far it's set back. Stock, on down hill pow turns it can right side you over the sled if you get too aggressive with it. The skinz front end corrects these short comings dramatically. I no longer see these issues. It holds a line better on a sidehill without wanting to climb up hill. It makes downhill turns a lot smoother and easier. The sled is even easier to get on its side and hold it there too, even on flats. Without feeling twitchy or odd even on the trail.

I was skeptical in buying this kit since it is expensive as $hit, and I saw minimal reviews on it here. I bought the evol R kashimas with it since I was told they work together and I couldn't source the required spherical bearings for the stock shocks required with the front end (even though I'm sure Tom's snowmobile can source them). I have non kashima coated evol R's that Tom's snowmobile built and revalved for my 14 BDX front end along with his SIK kit in the rear. Even on the shop floor the skinz front end on my 15 feels and shocks move so much better over my 14 bdx front end. Same on the mountain.

The skinz spindles are 1.5" shorter than stock. Not anywhere near as short as the BDX spindles. But it's the 3.5" forward that make them work so much better. Especially with the shocks. I rode the 15 skinz kit with evol R kashima front shocks along with the stock rear suspension last weekend. But will be putting on Tom's SIK kit in the rear of the 15 as well today and trying it out new years day. My 14 BDX with toms SIK kit in the Rear suspension is still more plush than the 15 stock rear shocks I have on with the skinz front end. The front end feels the complete opposite though. I also like that I can have the exact camber I want on the skis, compared to the odd positive camber that I have to deal with on the BDX front end. I have my ski stance on the wider setting on the Skinz and it's still only 36.5" wide from center of skis.

Overall very happy with the purchase. Not just saying that since I blew a huge wad of cash on it either. It really does transform this chassis for the better.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Am I tempting you to spend the big bucks Chewy? Hahaha

I'd say in order of worth for me this year on my purchases
:
1. Tie between 3" PC and skinz front end w evol r Kashima shocks

2. Gripper skis

3. Toms SIK rear shock kit.

4. Tie between BDX/cat boards with narrowed panels and diamond s ti quiet can

5. TKI belt drive.

6. Mtn tek Blow hole on my 14. Pulls under hood heat by the clutches and have to take it off to change belts. Have it sitting on the shelf. Works better on a rmk. Location just isn't correct on the proclimb.

Other than the blow hole, all others work very well. This order is just what I see what works best for me.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Great write up on this product! If you want a kit, we have one without shocks and 2 with the Fox Evols and then I think they are going to be very hard to find the rest of this season.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Am I tempting you to spend the big bucks Chewy? Hahaha

Yes, yes you are.

Been waiting for a review on a 800.

Couple questions:

1. Weight compared to stock?
2. Is the spindle coated, does snow stick?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yes, yes you are.

Been waiting for a review on a 800.

Couple questions:

1. Weight compared to stock?
2. Is the spindle coated, does snow stick?

Kit is a couple pounds lighter than stock. No coating from what I can tell on the spindle. Didn't notice any snow sticking to them last ride. Was planning on powder coating the spindles, but the lower a-arm ball joint was enough of a pain in the azz to get on the spindle by itself. Extra thickness of the powdercoat would have really made it tough.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I can get a pic of the skinz, BDX and stock at full turn later today.

Eric, would have just bought the skinz kit from you, but didn't know you even sold them. Should have checked your website...

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yes but you need to source spherical bearings for the shock eyelets. Skinz and Sled Solutions said they could not get them for me. Seems kinds BS since they sell the kit without them. I'd call Racinstation or Tom's Snowmobile and see if they can get them.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I can get a pic of the skinz, BDX and stock at full turn later today.

Eric, would have just bought the skinz kit from you, but didn't know you even sold them. Should have checked your website...

How is the turning radius compared to stock?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The BDX has the worst turning radius of all 3. I'll definitely be doing Wyoboy1000's steering mod on my '14. The Skinz kit has the most turning radius. Stock is in the middle. Here are some comparison pics. Don't let the stock pic fool you as it has the stock bumper on so the orange panels in front aren't blocked off by the black bumper coming down like the other ones. Look higher on the hood to get an idea where it comes out. All these sleds have grippers on them.

This sled has stock telescoping post. Other two have HCR post w/ 3" risers

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
thanks for the pics. was interested in seeing the difference of the ski tilt from outside edge to inside edge on each kit compared to stock.

C
Jan 14, 2012
Anyone else concered with the wasted beer leaking from the keg fridge into the bucket in the first picture? Please tell me you drink from the bucket and dont dump it.

Premium Features