• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 HCR recommended shock pressures

P

polarcat39

Nov 16, 2013
Wyoming
So, in the manual, there is no mention of a base-line shock pressure to start with? There is absolutely NO mention of where to start the EVOL chamber at.

This is where I am starting:

Rear Track - 140 psi
Front Shocks - 100 psi
Front Shocks EVOL chamber - 200 psi

Any better suggestions?

I assume dropping the pressure in the EVOL chamber by 10 psi or so would help with side-hilling?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've been running 80-85 in my main chamber and 130-140 in the Evol chamber on the Evol Xs on front of my 14. Seems to be using the full travel without any harsh bottoming with a 300lb suited up rider so 200 in your Evol chambers might be a bit much. In my stock shocks I was in the 70-75 range in the main chamber. I believe the negative spring in my Xs is the main reason for the 10psi increase.

Main air chamber controls ride height and initial spring rate and thus initial roll stiffness. Evol chamber controls final spring rate for bottoming resistance. It also sets the point in the stroke where the spring rate starts really ramping up. Backing off the Evol pressure will let the shock go a little further into the stroke when you roll it over. Some guys really like the front shocks soft and to collapse when the sled rolls over. I personally like mine to ride a bit higher in the stroke. Going to be a lot of personal preference on where you set them.

Last edited:

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
I have two sets of the black evol r's and one set of the Kashima coated evol r's. The Kashima coated ones are valved different. Example is I will run 50psi in the main and 200 in the evol. The older black ones will give me an aggressive ride while soaking up the smaller bumps. With the same psi in the Kashima coated evol r's, I get a much plusher ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
So many variables here...
Holy sh*t with the 300lb suited up rider.
I weigh 160lbs without gear, and just for sh*ts I'll add that I stretched my '13 HCR to 162" but... I still run the same shock pressures except for that I cranked the center shock up this season. Also running 40" A-arms.

Front shocks I run 50lbs main, and 80 in the Evol
Rear shock I run 120lbs

I don't jump the sled like a retard. I ride trees and bust drifts and do some small hits, and with these settings you can rally any mobbed out trail on the way to the pow... if your body size is comparable to mine. I've never bottomed out except for on a 20ish foot drop that about bounced me over the bars. That actually sucked pretty bad.

P

polarcat39

Nov 16, 2013
Wyoming
So many variables here...
Holy sh*t with the 300lb suited up rider.
I weigh 160lbs without gear, and just for sh*ts I'll add that I stretched my '13 HCR to 162" but... I still run the same shock pressures except for that I cranked the center shock up this season. Also running 40" A-arms.

Front shocks I run 50lbs main, and 80 in the Evol
Rear shock I run 120lbs

I don't jump the sled like a retard. I ride trees and bust drifts and do some small hits, and with these settings you can rally any mobbed out trail on the way to the pow... if your body size is comparable to mine. I've never bottomed out except for on a 20ish foot drop that about bounced me over the bars. That actually sucked pretty bad.

Are you using the FOX Float 3's?

Are the Float 3's comparable to the X's as far as pressure.

It seems I am definitely riding with too much pressure in my shocks.

I'm 160#, probably 170-180# all geared up.

Premium Features