• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M1000-Suspension Setup

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I could use some help on properly setting up the suspension on my 08 M1000, This is my first sled and I am new to snowmobiling, I have rode dirt bikes all of my life and am very familiar with setting up the suspensions on them but this sled is a whole new animal. I have not rode the sled yet so I don't know how the stock setup is going to work for me but I will be making my first trip this coming weekend to get it broke in.

It seems to me that their is a lot of sag in the suspension, from fully extended to rider sag I would say their is probably 5" which seems like a lot to me. I have been playing around with the fox float and currently have 150 psi in it which I believe is the maximum.

I weight 220 or probably closer to 250 fully geared so any help would be appreciated.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
I would start with med. to high pressure in all shocks and put the limiter strap in the middle, The front skid shock med. firm. I rode mine on the trail this weekend (230lbs) and was very impressed so far. I was suprised how well it handles with no torsion springs, Kris

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
was verry impressed with how the new skid works. I didnt touch a thing on mine, but it does seem a little stiff when sitting on it in the garage, but down the trail was very plush, I will check the psi in the shock and post as I am very close to your weight as well. The thing I liked was the transfer when climbing, very nice feel to it and the front pulls up just the right amount not too much not to little, just perfect for controlability with leaning. Very nice on the rider input side of things.

Greg

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
So whats up with all of the sag in the rear suspension is this normal?

When is it sagging? On the snow or in the garage? Don't judge by the garage... wait until you ride to see how it feels. Double check your psi in the rear float as well.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
yes 150 is the max pressure, and yeah I would ride it first before changing anything, could be that it will be just how you like it.

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
I have a little over 60 miles on my 08 M-1000 162. I began by setting the front and rear air shocks to 62 on the front (Snopro only) and 142 for the rear (I weigh 250 with gear). I also tightened the front shock in the rear suspension by approx. 1/2". This was my starting point and for being the initial setting....I kinda like it. Now I must admit this is my first experience with the Fox air shocks, so my learning curve with them is just beginning; however, so far I'm impressed with the ride improvement over my 07 M-1000. No climbing yet, that will be the test for me.

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe thats the problem I have only sat on it in the garage. I will double check the air pressure in the shock too. Just to verify 150 psi is the max right.

Make sure that your sled is flat on the ground and not sitting on sled dollies. The geometry of the suspension changes dramatically when on dollies.;)

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I have the standard version of the M1000. How do you change the air pressure with out the little pump? Can you get a pump?

H
Nov 26, 2007
Utah,Colorado
I have the standard version of the M1000. How do you change the air pressure with out the little pump? Can you get a pump?
if the shocks have a spring on them,they are gas charged and no you cannot get a pump.If you do have the fox floats but no pump you can order one or go to a bike shop and buy a light weight,good tire pump

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
i'm going to try about 135psi for starters then work from there i droped the suspenion to the bottom hole
and yes the sled has to be off the ground to adjust

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
The Sno Pros come with the pump.

I weight 220 pounds. How many pounds do you think i should run?

It appears to me, with my limited experience with the air shocks, that small changes in air pressure makes a fairly big difference in the suspension's reacrtion. Try 60 PSI on the front (Snopro) and 140 PSI on the rear to start. make sure the suspension is unloaded.

I'm looking forward to trying different settings for different riding conditions, ie trail -V- boondocking -V- hill climbing. So far, a big improvement over last years M setup.

More pressure on the front = less sway, but more reaction to bumps and may not sidehill as well.

More pressure on the rear = stiffer suspension and less weight transfer.

I need much more time on the snow to really form a knowledgable opinion about these shocks.

People with more experience....your opinions?

Last edited:
Premium Features