• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Remove secondary clutch on XP?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Provo UT
I was looking for a post that described how to to it, but it's gone? If any body could tell me it would be cool. I think I remember you just pull the bolt on the upper sprocket then the shaft pulls out. Is it really that easy?

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
You have to remove the entire jackshaft to get it out. Pull the chaincase cover, remove the top gear and I believe there is also a bearing retainer.

Sounds like fun. I am going to do a little tinkering first chance I get and try to come up with a better method.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Provo UT
I was wanting to pull both clutches and through both them and my belts in the dishwasher to get all the oil off of them. I was trying to get a good look at the secondary with it on and noticed it looks like there are only two of them? Seems to me that does not look right? I had read posts talking that oil or grease from the bushing working up from inside onto the sheeves might be roasting the belts and wanted to give them a good wash. Is that a good idea?
Thanks

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
Removing the secondary.

It is a 2 man job if you don't want to remove the chain case cover. Pull the rubber out of the side of the chaincase cover. Remove the bolt holding the top gear on. On the cluch side remove the cover and belt. Behind the secondary is a retainer plate. One bolt to take it off, Remove it. Have someone use a bar of some sort to hold the gear up. There is also a bushing behind the gear. Slowly pull the secondary with the jackshaft as the other person feeds the bar into the jackshaft opening to hold the gear and bushing.

If you actually want to remove the secondary from the shaft it is pressed on.

To replace the secondary , do everything in reverse and be carefull putting the jackshaft back into the bushing and gear. If you drop either you will have to remove the chaincase cover.
If this is required put your sled on its side when you remove the cover and you will lose no oil.

Premium Features