• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

registration for second hand sled in BC

J
Sep 27, 2013
I bought my two used sleds last year from a dealership (the guy specialized on used toys, not a genuine dealership of brand new vehicles). I know that the two sleds are 100% legit because the local sled mechanics (20 years+ in business) knew the two machine.
Anyway, the guy gave me no papers for one sled, and for the other one the paperwork came from the US.
Last year I went to ICBC and tried to get the registration. Basically they didn't really know what to do (it was in Vancouver) and then asked me to go back to the dealer...
I just went sledding instead, lol. I mainly went to not very popular spot so I didn t had any issues with law enforcers.
During spring time I discovered the pemby icecap. And now I want to go there a lot. The thing is the guys said that the cops are checking registration all the time in the heart of winter.
I tried again last summer, but the agent told me that I had to track the owners or something crazy like that.
So, how I can I get my sled registered? Any loophole I can try to tap in or other ways? Is there some ICBC centers more friendly or knowledgeable than others for that type of issues?

D
Nov 30, 2007
From what i was told by an insurance person here is that ICBC or whoever is going ahead with this new program doesn't really know how they are going to do it and hasn't really given out any info on it, so it will be rammed down our throat and we will have to figure it out. I bought a used sled for the wife a few years ago and never registered it yet, well since then the person i bought it from is long gone, and the dealership he bought it from now went under.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Get the insurance office to do a registry search. If the sleds have never been registered it is possible to have them registered as if it were a brand new machine.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ That is what I figure. Also, it might be worth checking with the DMV, because when I bought a new sled (in 2011), I believe I registered it there...not ICBC. IIRC.

I've never registered a used sled yet - although they were all legit. But it sounds like this is coming down the pipe more in the next year or 2.

The one from the USA sounds like it might be one that someone brought across to "ride" and it never came back. Or they imported it legitimately, and just didn't register it so they didn't have to pay tax. Big difference....if it's option A, that really opens up a can of worms.

If you can't get anything - I would at least do up a bill of sale from the previous owner to you, stating the date of sale, names of both parties, VIN number, paid in full, etc...and carry that around. At least you'd have something to show the cops. I've never been checked, so I don't know how picky they really are.

Lets be honest....if they're going to get technical....realistically, 95% of owner's of used dirtbikes, sleds, and ATV's are screwed.

J
Sep 27, 2013
@ bnorth,
I know that the sleds had never been register before, ICBC did a check run on the VIN # I provided.
But they didn't says that I could do so as if they were brand new.
I think I ll try again like that.

Nov 30, 2007
Yup, all you have to do if you don't have title documents is bring in a signed tax declaration form. the government stands to make quite a bit for your safety. I cant imagine all those back taxes will find there way into snowmobile or off road clubs.$$$$$$$

ferniesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2014
eastern British Columbia
You have until June of 2015 to work it out. They will take the remainder of this year to work the bugs out of the system. Ask lots of questions. Don't let them hose you on the tax. Go to a dealer and get the book value from him as if you were to trade them in. That would be the lowest price you would find on paper.

You could "gift" one of the sleds to your GF or wife with the proper paper work and not have to pay the tax. Lots of options, so get asking questions. Most of the time the people in the local insurance/registration office are a help but as the learning curve for the new ORV law while it comes into effect will be huge. Good luck.

Premium Features