• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best sled for doubling?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Kinda depends, IMHO. I've got two - 163" Summit XM and a newer Skandic SWT utility.

The SWT is by far and away the most comfortable for moving two (or three or four) people uphill.

It won't break a trail up steep soft snow like the Summit will.

The Summit will take two people up just about anything. It is kinda ridiculous what it'll do.

If I had to choose one, though, I'd choose the Skandic - it is more useful more of the time, and with a taller track (1.75" lugs vs stock 1.25"), it breaks trail up MOST things we want.

Lynx (where the Skandic actually comes from) makes a sled called the Xtrim Commander 800 - basically, a 20" wide sled with a-arms and 800cc etec. I've not ridden one, but I'd venture to guess that'd be the ultimate sled-skiing tool - the 600cc etec SWT is really pretty capable; give it an 800? Huh.

It really depends, though, on where you are, if you've got roads in place, if you need to make roads, blah blah blah.

I'm pretty sure *my* XM (2013) is capable of tandeming up stuff I have ZERO interest in tandeming up. I'm SURE the new T3 with a 174" track will double up things that are downright terrifying.

My Skandic is not as capable as a mountain sled WRT breaking a trail/making a road up steep/deep slopes, but once a road is in, the Skandic will go right up - and with an additional 30-40hp, I suspect the delta between what it CAN do and what I _want_ to do will get even smaller.

So...yeah. Realistically speaking, cost no object, 174" Summit.

Going all-in on sled skiing? Modern Skandics are awesome.

Spending $5-10k? Probably any of them, really. Longer tracks help. Power helps. I like Skidoo, but I've tandemed on new Pros and a couple of Cats - they all worked just fine. Heck, if you really don't care about the sledding piece, a Yamaha would probably do the trick if there are established roads in place, one of their mountain sleds with a big track.

Where do you plan on using it? Making your own roads or using established trails?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Polaris edge rmk 800 with twin pipes and a 174x2.5 track worked great for me. Yes, it was scary what we could tandem up, but it was awesome. Issue is keeping that 800 together. Now I'm on a 13 XM 154", more fun to ride but a little tricky/squirely to ride double with no sway bar installed. As was stated, the terrain and goals will dictate the sled you'll want. I like skinning these days though, you can ascend nearly anything.

C
Nov 4, 2014
I also think Polaris edge rmk 800 is very good choice for doubling. It's really superb. Polaris edge rmk 800 are really good and you are going to love it very much.

T
Sled and Limiter Strap and Doubling

My personal preference is to double with a Polaris RMK or PRO and at a 163.

If you are bush wacking to get back into an area and remaining at slower speeds, the 163 displaces the weight a lot better.

However, any sled you get make sure your limiter strap is not slacked out. This will cause the fulcrum point of the machine to be exaggerated, making the ski tips come up off the ground in hill climbs. This also makes movements very touchy from a rider perspective because you have all the weight directed to the track. So little movements are needed to effect the machines direction.

Additionally, if you're limiter strap is all slacked out your climbing capability will be affected, making the machine want to auger trenches instead of staying planer and pushing forward.

Hope this makes sense and regardless the machine, if it's not set up right it won't work the way you want.

Dave Tomassen
Tiny Mo Pros
www.tinymopros.com

Premium Features