• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

first trip out west

S
Sep 15, 2014
we are looking into making a trip out west this coming February, looking at either west Yellowstone or togwotee. most interested in scenic trail and some off trail riding. any advice would appreciated.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well your two possible destinations couldn't be MORE different.
For the average rider, Yellowstone has a lot of nice well maintained trails, something on the order of 600 miles if I recall and plenty of after sledding activity in the town.

Togwotee is an issolated lodge up in the mountains. There are some great trails, but even more fabulous off trail mountain riding.

Do you want HOTEL or CABIN ?

Do you want to go out at night, or happy to hang with the crowd at the lodge?

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I have a group headed to Togwotee this January. None of us have the slightest interest in riding any trails, although I'm sure the trails are nice.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
West Yellowstone to Island has a vast trial system lots of off trail meadows next to the trail system and plenty of motels in WY....although I prefer Tog myself WY might be a better fit for your group based on what you described.....Heck you can ride from West Yellowstone to Togwotte.

DPG

S
Sep 15, 2014
we are from the east so all we have is trail riding. togwotee sounds really nice, but I don't want to go somewhere that is too difficult for anyone. we have different levels of riders going along, from intermediate to very experienced.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Tog is perfect for your group, good scenic trails and good off trail deep pow riding. Lodge is a fun place after a good ride.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I recommend W. Yellowstone/Ashton Id area for larger groups. Something for everyone there. Lots of off trail riding for the experienced to remain within sight of the trails for the inexperienced riders. Deep backcountry riding would be a bit extreme IMO.

Premium Features