• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody go from diesel back to gas, and still happy?

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I took the Duramax in for service last week for the 100,000 mile service, oil change, replace a gloplug, and a few other minor things. Bill ends up coming to almost a grand. Typical bill it seems lately if anything goes wrong on that. Anyways, while I was killing time, I decided to go test drive the new Silverado 1/2 ton. Absolutely fell in love with it. The power seemed way better than last year, and just loved the interior, and the ride.

After I get back, the salesman starts telling me about all the rebates for truck month, and I can save this much money if I get into a 2014 now. Then they proceed to tell me if I get one, they'll take care of my bill on the diesel, and Chevy has no maintence for 2 years for anything. They tell me to take my truck, and think about it for a few days, and let them know within 3 days, or I could just call them, and pay my bill.

This was about a week ago today. Saturday rolls around, and I ended up telling them if they throw in the carpet bed liner from Chevy, and a Tonneau cover, that I'd take it. They told me no at first, but then about 20 minutes later, the salesman text me, saying if he could make it work would I still wanna make the deal. I told them I would.

Needless to say, I'm now driving around a 2014 Chevy 1/2 ton. I sold my camping trailer over a year ago, so I only pull a few times a year during sled season. We take turns driving. I'll be using this for my daily driver now, because I sold my car as well about 6 months ago.

I know it's not going to pull like the Duramax, or have the power. What I'm wondering is if your driving a gas truck, are you still happy with your decision? The ride is so much better in this than the 3/4 ton for daily driving.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I hear you.
The only reason I even consider 3/4 ton is tax purposes, and that isn't a big enough incentive to turn me.
Had a pwrstroke & every time you laid a wrench to it, the cost was double what a 1/2 ton would have been.
Rough riding, too tall, clumsy around town, standing in a diesel stain at every fuel pump getting stinking diesel on my hands, gelling at the WORST F-ing times......I know I won't be happy if I do it again.

Sure it went like hell when I stuck my foot in it, but the ecoboost runs very good for my needs.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
90% of people that have diesels probably don't need them. Sure their cool and can pull about anything, but higher diesel and higher original cost, higher maintenance. Most would be much better served with a gasser. I have a duramax dually, but I pull a big stock trailer, gooseneck sled trailer and use it for farm use. I have a half ton for just driving around cause the dually sucks as a daily driver.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
90% of people that have diesels probably don't need them.

Yeah, and my mom tells me I don't need a snowmobile too.

I don't think I could go back to a gasser. Third Duramax and there is no way I could go back to a gasser. We are buying a fifth wheel so I do need the diesel even though some gassers would pull it. My diesel is like a Corvette with more seats and a bed. It flies over the passes. You just get used to them. Even though it is bigger, tougher to park even my wife loves it. We have a family car.

By the way, you picked out a nice truck so I'm not bashing. $1000 for diesel maintenance is terrible. You have to do that stuff yourself if that cost is not reasonable. I buy AmsOil and take care of all my maintenance. I even pay to test my oil. I don't pay $1000 a year for maintenance.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Affordability is such a relative term.
I sell boats, which are obviously a luxury, not a necessity.
I have seen over & over that what is prohibitively expensive to one person does not amount to dink sweat to another.
I am certain some on here can easily buy a loaded up diesel with dolphin skin seats using children's spinal fluid for DEF, while the next guy is happy as hell to have a '95 Suburban.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Been contemplating this for a while, I don't use my diesel as much as I used to.
Repairs costs are crazy, but they hold there value a lot better than a gas.
?????????????? What to do

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i currently have a low milage 2010 f250 and love it, but hate it. love towing with it but hate driving it everyday. i would get a cheap around town truck but need a decent truck for work (taking out clients, job site visits etc). my plan (meeting dealer this week) is to get a new f150 for daily driving and find a higher mileage (ie less expensive) diesel that will stay hooked up to the trailer 95% of the time.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Keep the diesel. I have a diesel. Do I need one? probably not. Do I want one? Hell yea. The way I look at it, If I'm going to spend pretty good coin on a pickup, I'm going to buy what I want, not what I could get by with. Maybe this is the wrong attitude and I'm not trying to come across as arrogant but that's how I see it. Resale on a diesel is way better. I feel the reliability is awesome. I will never own a gas again.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
The way I look at it, If I'm going to spend pretty good coin on a pickup, I'm going to buy what I want, not what I could get by with.

my thoughts exactly. that also the same mentality thats blown by budget pricing out an ecoboost lol

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
On a side note, the 1/2 ton diesels are starting to look more and more attractive. At first I couldn't see why get a 1/2 ton diesel when you can just have more ability in the 3/4 or 1 ton. But that drivability is a nice feature of 1/2 tons. They are so much more car like. I know Dodge has one now and Toy, Nissan, GM and Ford are on their way. I like that the Dodge has an electronic transmission and ride adjust ability option.

trenchking

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
went from 01 f-350 dulley with 4.10 gear ratio,pulled like freight train,but rode like it also,9mpg pulling,12 mpg empty! went to 14 lariame longhorn 5.7 hemi with 3.92 ratio,8 speed auto,same trl same sleds,14mpg loaded& 19 empty & this is at 10 mph faster than I went with ford!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Went from an 07 classic Duramax to a 14 1/2 ton. Really only miss the oilburner when I'm towing, which isn't often and the 1/2'r is fully capable for what I tow right now. You won't be disappointed in the new chevy, I like mine a lot. That being said, if the 1/2 diesels ride as nice as my current truck, it'll be damn near impossible for me not to dig out the checkbook. I've already been prepping for the battle with the wife........... :face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
went from 01 f-350 dulley with 4.10 gear ratio,pulled like freight train,but rode like it also,9mpg pulling,12 mpg empty! went to 14 lariame longhorn 5.7 hemi with 3.92 ratio,8 speed auto,same trl same sleds,14mpg loaded& 19 empty & this is at 10 mph faster than I went with ford!

I guess I was thinking that when we talked about comparing diesels to gassers they were both within a decade of one another.

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
I had a 07 duramax and went to a 2012 silverado 1/2 ton max package with a 6.2 motor. The 1/2 ton would pull a trailer ok but it would shift a-lot so I went back to a duramax. I only pull a trailer 4 times a year and and still went back to a diesel. I drive my golf cart to work everyday so the truck just sits in the garage most of the time so not a daily driver.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Unless you have a >6,000-lb trailer to tow, even up in the mountains, I don't think its worth the added cost of the diesel quite frankly.

The ****ty part is, nobody is offering a good non-diesel tow option any more. The closest thing is the F-150 EcoBoost, but they won't put that motor in the super duty chassis for some stupid reason.

I wish GM never would have quite making the Vortec 8100 .... I have really been quite happy with my Cummins I bought, but I think if GM would have still been making a truck with the 8.1L big block I wouldn't have bought a diesel. My trailer is sort of borderline, if i load it up totally with sleds and gear its around 8,000-lb fully loaded, so the diesel is nice, but not required ... My old 8.1L pulled it just fine up I70 too.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
My prior trucks were:

04 GMC 5.3 with 3.73s
01 Cummins 6 speed manual
03 Cummins auto
11 Ecoboost 3.73s
14 Cummins 6 speed manual

1st of all I despised my 5.3. Worst vehicle I've ever owned and owned it the shortest amount of time of any of my vehicles. Towed a 2 place open in the mountains like crap

Diesels were a different world. Loved them. Only sold because I had good opportunitys to sell them. Sold the 03 for $500 more then I paid for it 4 years prior.

Went to the ecoboost in 2011 because I was nervous about the urea on the Duramax and didn't trust the new Ford. The mileage reports were poor on the 6.7 Cummins so I figured ecoboost was the next best option.

Loved the power. Ran hard and towed well. Honestly it towed a 4 place enclosed better then 5.3 towed a 2 place open.

Only downside was the soft suspension. Truck swayed more and was way worse in the wind with the enclosed trailer.

Honestly if they made the Superduty with the ecoboost I would of gone that route.

Unfortunately they don't. Found another cummins was the best option. I'm old school and love rowing my own gears. Love the coil spring rear in the rear.

I honestly think the GM to trucks are just ugly. Couldn't bring myself to buy one even though I love the Duramax. I didn't trust the ford.

Why doesn't the Ford come with the Cummins or Duramax? I might of gone with another ford in that case?

Why does the gm have the low hanging def tank and IFS? And who designs gm trucks? I didn't think they could make anything uglier then the 15 Silverados but then the surburban and tahoes came out. Is Obama designing GM trucks?

I found the Ram to be the best truck overall. Nothing is perfect though. Pick your poison.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I have a gas beater for around town and a super duty for the big trips. I used to pull my enclosed with a gas pickup and ruined two transfer cases.
I do most my own wrenching on it which seems to never end. However I do like passing sports cars and motorcycles with a loaded trailer, as well as the 19 mpg unloaded

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I did but I had an older noisy diesel ('01 Cummins) and I don't tow heavy trailers anymore so I got a new Ram 1500 hemi and I love it. Rides like a caddy and so quiet can't hear it run. Don't miss the expensive repairs and service on the diesel either. I get decent mileage on the hemi too.

Premium Features