• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rebuilding walker Evans assault shocks

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
Just wondering if this is something i can do myself my shocks i think are in need of a rebuild. I know for sure one of my front shocks something is wrong it feels alot softer than the other one i have to have one clicker set about in the middle and the other one set all the way to hard just so they somewhat feel even. Anybody have any experience with these shocks im not spending the money for new ones this year. What kind of tools are needed.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You don't hear of people doing this on their own for a reason.

It is not something that you really want to try on your own unless you have experience

You will need to relieve the nitrogen pressure and recharge it using a specialized sharp-needle Nitrogen injection rig with regulator.

You will need to set the IFP depth and have a very clean work setup... as well as knowing general setup.

Not worth it IMO..

General service is about $25 -$30 per shock.

I have access to a full shock service bench and tools... but I have Chris at Carl's Cycle or Andy Youngstrom at Gas Shock Repair take care of mine
www.carlscycle.com
www.gasshockrepair.com

D
Good advice. We service shocks all the time and it's really is simple "if" you have all the special tools and all the data on your shocks. Note: most shocks have +/- 200 lbs of nitrogen gas pressure in them. DO NOT try to take them apart without bleeding off the pressure which takes a special tool. I would say shocks are the most overlooked item on most sleds. They go away so slowly most don't notice the lack of performance. I have yet to drain the shock oil and not find water in the oil. Its just the nature of the beast. If your not having your shocks serviced at least every other year (assuming your riding your sled) your missing out on a inexpensive performance improvement.
Just my 2 cents.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
Talked to my dealer today and they told me to put a seal kit in and oil/nitrogen it will cost 270 just for one. I'm pretty sure it leaked out the nitrogen I'm thinking I might just recharge and see how long it lasts.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Dont have it done at the dealer, way too much. Send them all out to someone who is reputable and cheaper.

Allterrain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2010
Is it reccomended to change the seals on the pro rmk walker evans shocks when rebuilding them? Sounds like most guys just change the oil and recharge them. A seal kit from walker evans is only $15, just not clear about what it all includes.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Never a bad Idea... the cost is in the effort to take off/ship/return/install.

$30 more plus a bit extra labor... for good measure and peace of mind...not a bad call.

The Walkers don't have a really good Ice Scraper built into the seals like the Fox/EXIT/Raptor shocks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Never a bad Idea... the cost is in the effort to take off/ship/return/install.

$30 more plus a bit extra labor... for good measure and peace of mind...not a bad call.

The Walkers don't have a really good Ice Scraper built into the seals like the Fox/EXIT/Raptor shocks.

Premium Features