• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kx500 which thermo-bob and thermostat?

U
Sep 12, 2010
I'm looking for consistent engine temps for my year-round bike. Ambient temps from -5 to 100, with plenty of slow speed high throttle powder fun. What should my target engine temperature be?

15 or so hours after buying the bike (well abused) it seized a couple of times and I don't want a repeat.

Many thanks for your experiences, ideas and opinions! :face-icon-small-hap

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thermobob was going to male some 160F stats for the 500. Not sure where he is on that project if at all. I know some guys dont run them at all and see temps in the 90-120F range. I had a set of KTM 140F stats and the temps still ran the same. Too much coolant passes through the KTM stats when they are closed. The Thermobob lets no fluid and runs a bypass which works way better imo. It might be worth a call to him.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
If you have a steel frame kx 5 it will be challenging
to install a thermo bob. No room between head and
left rad. AF kx 500 has a different layout with more
room.I eliminated the left rad completely and used
a tunnel mounted heat exchanger.No rad gives room
for temp sender and Thermo bob.180 deg. t-stat is
maybe a bit warm but temps NEVER go past 180 with
this setup. In the summer engine temps on bikes go
way into the 200 range all the time.
Good luck.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
keep the money in your pocket and dont run a stat. i dont on my 500af and its fine.

you figure its cold seizing or? usually that has to do with starting too quick when its cold and not the actual temp once running.

U
Sep 12, 2010
keep the money in your pocket and dont run a stat. i dont on my 500af and its fine.

you figure its cold seizing or? usually that has to do with starting too quick when its cold and not the actual temp once running.

I don't know why it seized. The only cause I don't suspect is fuel - I am running 30:1 premix.

So it could have been too cold, too hot, piston too old/worn, running too lean, or previous owner damage. I plan to address each of those suspects.

Is there anything else I should look at? I bought the 2000 KX500 used last summer and stupidly didn't do a complete tear down

U
Sep 12, 2010
lets see a pic or two of the jug, cyl ect maybe we can figure it out.

That would be awesome! I am finally back to the bike.

1518960_10152439266634136_2399494074748462931_o.jpg

The jug is off at Millennium Technologies.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'd start with crank seals and bottom bearing play. Jetting ? What does the plug look like ?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
hot 500

No mystery on seizures, piston crown gets hot and swells up the piston diameter until its bigger than the hole in the cylinder and everything grinds to a halt.

Obvious question why did piston crown heat up . From picture there is only a hint of some past piston wash, so for sure fuel mixture was lean just before seizure. I would check with other snow bikers and get a handle on main jet range. Appearance of piston would lead me to believe that there is a definite lean area in the carb fuel delivery. Almost always lean mid range. So needle position very critical.......too far down/clip postion too high means lean running and bad for sustained load partial throttle opening.

If this motor seized being ridden as a snow bike and survived as a dirt bike with the same jetting, very believable, mortals cannot load a KX500 motor on the mx track or trail riding......maybe in the dunes, in the snow with cool air and sustained throttle position at moderate load, quick feeling lean mx jetting has potential to ruin a piston crown running in the snow.

Also keep in mind the age of your bike means it was never designed to be ridden with cheeeesy 91 octane 2014 poor quality gas..........all of which leads to detonation at marginal jetting partial throttle opening sustained modest load........for sure you need richer jetting across the board to compensate for todays chittttty gas. KX500 out of the box 15 years ago had deto issues anyway, bad gas/kx500head/sustained load/lean jetting/cool good air........all conspiring against you on an old lean jetted engine.

On the karts I tuned for guys with kx500 motors, we found that motor can swallow huge amounts of main jet gas WOT............same on any big piston diameter motor and thats what you have. So when in doubt make sure you have fat top end which makes hp, and tune low and mid range carefully.

Millions of pages of good big piston two stoke tuning tips available at dyno tech and try dale cutlers web site.

49 more potential issues

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
This jetting works great on my KX500.
Around 170 hard mountain hours with no issues.
165 main
DGH needle
clip in 4th position
60 pilot
AS around 2 turns
Riding mostly between 4500 - 7800ft
-10C to +2C temps usually
40:1 premix.This is important.Your oil rich 30:1 just leans
your A/F ratio more.I dont think anyone needs that much
oil. Hope this helps.Your bike is awesome. I love mine.

Premium Features