• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climbing in the central Alaska Range

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
http://vimeo.com/90037177 (sorry, I cannot figure out how to embed)

According to the hype there's no snow in AK. Not really true but the most popular places did have a horrible winter. It's 6 hours of road & trail time to get to this place but totally worth it.

Snow was well set but half way up would vary between soft and firm.
Biggest pull for me, so far. Just now for this post I checked GoogleEarth it's a shade over 1,600 feet vertical gain (3,522 to 5,187). My guesstimate at the time was around 1,500.

I have to admit, I got a bit nut-clenched on top--could not see my down line and ended up bailing off the back side and picking my way around.

Sled is a '12 Pro 800 163 with clutching and 700 miles logged since getting a long-rod conversion and a PAR 12.5:1 head. Zbros springs up front and the rest is stock. Tach was holding at 8350 at WOT for most of the climb.

I weigh 250ish dressed to ride with avy pack on. I'm running non-eth 90 with a bit of Torco and Mystic full synthetic for those curious about those stats.

Last edited:
Premium Features