• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper and 8Dn belt

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
If you have a Viper you are used to seeing alot of belt dust and rpm hunting up and down while riding, the stock 8JP belt is the cause. Grab your old 8DN belt left over from any one of your old Yamahas, some extra spacer washers for the secondary and put it on. Actually take a look at the 8JP and the 8DN side by side and see how much more contact surface the 8DN has and how much more robust the lugs are.

1. remove secondary
2. remove three small bolts on backside of secondary
3. set 8DN belt in secondary and add washers to the 3 bolts until ribs ride just above secondary sheave
4. install the secondary and the 8DN belt

Please note that you may lose 200 to 400 rpm with this belt due to it not slipping like the 8JP does. Also you may not need to do steps 2 and 3 above if deflection is already correct.

Enjoy!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes! I was just going to post this. You just need to add 3 more of the same shims. There are 2 different thickness shims and whether you have the thin or the thick, it seems you just double that and the 8DN is set up just right.

Pretty cool to have a belt that costs half of what other brands cost and even cooler to not have to replace it other than the once a year just because change.

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
wish I would have seen this earlier!! The Viper belt is 25.00 more each to boot!!!! I have noticed the dust on my Viper 270 MCX , but so far at 377 miles belt looks good. However it would be nice to have same belt as Nytro since there are 6 of those riding in my group. Don't have problem with RPM hunting, course my clutching is no longer stock

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
wish I would have seen this earlier!! The Viper belt is 25.00 more each to boot!!!! I have noticed the dust on my Viper 270 MCX , but so far at 377 miles belt looks good. However it would be nice to have same belt as Nytro since there are 6 of those riding in my group. Don't have problem with RPM hunting, course my clutching is no longer stock

Try a 8DN you will be surprised...I know I was. BTW I am running the 8DN with 01 suffix now.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
According to a FB post, Ulmer is saying if you send him your clutches, he will set them up to run correctly with the 8dn belt. Sounds like he is close to perfecting this set up for clutch kits as well.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Makes you wonder why Yamaha would even bother selling the sled with a different belt at this point, they've been using the 8dn for so long, why mess with success. I know planned obsolescence it's just a BS cash grab.

M5

Premium Features