• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aluminum Fuel Cell

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Has anyone built an aluminum fuel tank for their sled? I'm debating on building one for extra fuel capacity and to change my sled a bit for a more rider forward, and to make a lighter seat, like the pro rmk seats.

What processes would one recommend for building an aluminum tank? Does anyone ever line the tanks? Baffles? And for a fuel cap what does one use? Just get a neck made up on a lathe and use the stock cap?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Depending on the size you have options, the best is likely the course open stringy foam (Wahl Bros. used to carry it, I haven't looked recently) (Jeg's or Summit likely does as well for their fuel cells) stuff so the fuel still flows to the pickup but slows the sloshing effect and can be removed for cleaning should that ever be needed. As for material 5052 H will be easiest to form / brake without having to weld every seam. Can even be formed with a hammer platten or english wheel if you have access to those tools. Wahl bros. has the billet bungs to fit their plastic caps in various sizes and venting options.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you can get a cap neck and cap for custom tank from wahl bros. they also sell small fuel cells or you can make your own.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at building a whole tank, looking at the prices of that foam it would cost $100 just for the foam, and reading about it kind of scares me. People talk about the foam deteriorating and clogging filters and pumps. I was hoping to try and use a brake to bend the bottoms up so there will be less welds along the bottom of the tank.

My main concern now is to put baffles in it, or foam. Foam would be a lot lighter.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I designed my own Nytro tank and had it fabricated by Boyd Welding in Ocala Florida.

10 gallon capacity
Aeromotive Stealth 340 in-tank pump that feeds a surge tank and MSD 2225.
2 baffles
1/8 thick
roll-over vent
2 inch cap supplied by Boyd.
Wema Sending unit

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
whals bros for the tank fill bung and speedway motors for any other bungs. And you can either baffle it(heavier/way more work) or just use the foam(cheap from any racing supplier) JAZ racing or RCI have great foam for tanks I run it in any fuel cell I install just check it or change it every two seasons(that is my schedule I use in the stock car and I run methnol so I know it will live longer in gas). Foam is awesome as it controls slosh and will also slow down fuel loss in the event of a punctured tank/rolled machine, ALWAYS run a roll over valve.....

Premium Features