• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

93 Yamaha Exciter STT Budget Mountain Build

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Well, the economy has been tough, but I didn't want to give up snowmobiling even though I don't get the opportunity to do it often. And since I have sledding on the brain I though I would share this build I did last year with all of you. Sorry the pics are not necessarily in order.

If nothing else, owning a Polaris 800 taught me that a 20 year old Yamaha is more dependable. :face-icon-small-ton So, I decided to start there. I knew from a prior restoration that I could easily turn this into a stand up machine. Recent trends of narrowing the front end didn't have to be done since this started at a 37" ski stance.

A few updates to modernize it like skis track and risers. I'm not a big mountain climber so all I needed was a back country sled that can handle some deep powder and is fun in the trees.

I'm still looking for a set of struts off of a Vmax XT if anyone knows of some. :face-icon-small-win

So go ahead and bash away at my work. And tell me what a terrible sled I have since it isn't new and I don't have a turbo on it.

http://s136.photobucket.com/user/obimonte/library/Facebook/1993 Yamaha EX570STT

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Too cool. I like old sled builds.

Besides getting the front end up (Ski-Doo Skandic struts?) I think I would have found some running board inserts from a newer sled to help clear them out, and maybe an upgraded higher seat. Those old lower seats make my knees ache in August.

Have fun with it, I bet you will have a ball riding it.

M

mtnmax97

Dec 24, 2007
Yakima WA
I had a friend who built an enticer 340 with.a 136, custom tunnel and boards, and phaser suspension. The thing was a hoot to ride, super light. It could have used an upgrade in the front suspension department however. (he had a pogo upgrade in the works.)

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
If I can find some struts from a Vmax XT it should give me a couple more inches of travel.

For me having a seat is almost pointless. Lol I rarely sit down. :face-icon-small-ton

I like the idea of board inserts. I just wasn't willing to part with the money quite yet. I'll have to see what new stuff people are developing this year.

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
if you need a top end I have a complete top w/honed 40 over cylinders brand new piston kits and gaskets will sell cheap nice to have a backup let me know can get you pics

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
love watching people play with these old sled, had a good friend who played with an old exciter, did a bunch of welding on the chassis, he made his own "better boards" out of steel, and actually widened the front, it would actually carve that way instead of just falling over till the track was out of the snow. have fun! watch the wiring for the "hanging throttle" two micro switches in the thumb lever and a tps, will let it start but not accelerate,.

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Really cool build! I am all for the older sled builds. I have a 90 Indy 500 that I spent probably too much money on but it is my baby. I used to ride with a buddy who had a 89 Exciter; great sleds. I very much like the style of the exciter/phazers too.

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Nice

Very nice job on the sled build.
I did many of the same things to my 95 vmax 600st 2 years ago.
I put a 153" camoplast on mine with 7" extroverts, pushed the skid back, and down. Made my own 4" riser by 3" forward, plus the twin pipes, inside rear wheels, etc. I should post my pics as well..

What length of track?
Do you know the wet or dry wt?

Premium Features